Question Scanning and repairing drive/The system cannot find the drive specified

jsmith200

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014
I have this desktop which I hadn't turned on for three months. The other day, I turned it on and was facing the message "Scanning and repairing drive..." It took 24 hours or more to progress to 3%. I turned it off and back on again. This time, after 24 hours or more, the progress was 2%.

I managed to boot into safe mode and opened cmd. After typing "CD E:", I got a message saying "The system cannot find the drive specified."

Top portion of Disk management shows the following info:

Disk 0 partition 3 healthy 450 MB
Disk 2 partition 2 healthy 25.07 GB
D: healthy 372.61 GB
F: healthy 465.76 GB
System Reserved healthy 100 MB
C: healthy 92.61 GB

System Reserve, C:, D: are also on disk 0.
Drive F is on disk 1.
Disk 2 has a 440.69 GB partition which doesn't have health info, and the 25.07 GB OEM partition.

I left-clicked on the 440.69 GB, trying to reform it but couldn't.

In cmd, I couldn't switch to drive D (The system cannot find the drive specified.)

Drive F is an exact copy of drive D. So, I don't care about the data on D. I can re-partition, re-format it.

The question is how to rescue the drive. Any thoughts?

This is Windows 10 build 17134.950

Last edited:

popatim

Titan
Connect it to another PC and check the drives SMART output. CrystalDiskInfo will do this for free. Post us the results or link us to a screenshot of it hosted on an image sharing site.

What we're mainly looking at is Uncorrectable (C6) and Reallocated(05) Sectors. Those both would be failed sectors. Uncorrectable means data couldn't be rescued and moved to spare sectors while Reallocated sectors were saved.

Also; Rescue the Drive?
If there is no need for recovering any Data and If those are good then reinstall windows but use the Drive Options link, on the where do you want to install to screen, and delete all the existing partitions. When its all empty click Next and let windows handle partitioning and formatting it.

jsmith200

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014
Thanks for the replies.

I used DISKPART to clean the partitions, create a new partition, and format the disk, all in the safe mode of Windows 10. I then reboot the computer. It worked without problems. I then boot normally. It did not work. Went back to safe mode and DISKPART found the disk was gone.

I checked the system event log and found an entry of S.M.A.R.T. fault on that drive. I promptly disconnected and discarded that drive and purchased a new one.

Last edited: