Scared my motherboard is broken? Please help.

PokeJoe

Commendable
Jan 28, 2017
Right, I'm completely new to PC building. I tried installing a CPU I bought online, but didn't notice two of the pins were bent before installing. It's an AM3+ socket and an AMD Phenom II X4 965. (Please don't leave any responses about returning it or what I've done wrong, I've already identified my mistakes) My motherboard made a few crackling noises. Tried fiddling around with the CPU pins and ending up breaking one off. There are three missing pins, I don't know what happened to the other two. (The main reason why I'm worried.) I've ordered a new CPU which I plan to install on the same motherboard in a few days. I'm worried the motherboard is broken from trying to previously install this CPU. I can't see any visible pins in the socket but there are some tiny (extremely tiny) grey specs. I'm just really worried, can someone please give me advice? Am I stressing over nothing, or have I majorly screwed up? :(

PokeJoe

Commendable
Jan 28, 2017

Is there a decent chance the motherboard is fine? That's what I'm mainly stressed about, I already have all my other components.

PokeJoe

Commendable
Jan 28, 2017

Alright, thank you. I can't really afford to buy anything else, so I'm just hoping the CPU will fit into the socket without any problems. My worry is that something from the other CPU may have got into the socket (pins are missing, don't know when they went missing though and can't see any visibly in the motherboard socket.)

PokeJoe

Commendable
Jan 28, 2017

That's a good point, actually. At least I won't break my CPU in the process if I follow this advice. :)

Blackest Man Alive

Commendable
Feb 6, 2017
I don't know if its a good idea to just put the new CPU in the socket just yet. Maybe try getting something like a magnifying glass and try to find any of the lost pins in the corresponding socket connectors. Don't get discouraged from something like this, it happens. I'm sitting with my first PC that I spent all my money on that is half build and doesn't even boot up, nothing. I guess what I'm trying to say is try not to get stressed out about things that you can't change, after all, PC building is a hobby, and in hobbies, situations like this pop up every now and then. :D