Scared of Newegg Reviews

maguszxz

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Sometimes, I really, really hate reading Newegg reviews because for every 3 "I love this thing" reviews, there are 2 "I'll never buy this again" reviews. Sometimes, I wonder if it because of human error or the product itself. I am planning out my first build for months now. I have bugged my classmates, friends and professors about advice on parts. I finally got the parts the way, I want them and now I need to start collecting cans and hitting up the Coinstar machines. My main concern is my motherboard because it's got a few hits and misses. I really want to make sure this first build goes smooth because my cashflow is very tight for mistakes. Anyone have this particular mobo or like the brand. Please help, I need some input. I've done too much research to start over.

Here is the board
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813128012

picho

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
You have to take everything with a grain of salt here, especially considering that you can find all sorts of shills/fanboys posting random reviews ("Gigabyte sucks, buy Asus instead!").

That being said, there may be some reasonable objections but you have to take a closer look at what they're saying. I saw one review which said "north bridge cooler is poor" -- what does that even mean? Also there can be reviews which say "the guy below me is wrong, I haven't had any problem with X or Y on this product" although again take it with a grain of salt.

All things considered, the ds3 is a board many people here swear by; if you get a bad one you might have to RMA it but people seem to have good luck with them.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Many people have this board on these forumz. I am not one of them but I do know that the board overall does quite well and is very stable. You shouldn't have any issues with it if properly installed.

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I think alot of reviews on newegg are from eggheads that don't know what the hell they are doing or talking about. If you're planning on OCing that's a great board. It has it's bugs I'm sure but there aren't too many boards out there that are perfect. Also I've never had a problem with anything from newegg, but do your research and look for reviews. I assume you're not planning on going SLI/Crossfire, so I might suggest the evga 650i ULTRA motherboard, since it OC's pretty good as well, and it's $30 cheaper.

I have a few questions though:
1) what power supply?
2) XP or Vista?
3) what graphics card?
4) what case?
5) any aftermarket cooler(s)?
6) What RAM?(speed, brand, quantity)

sailer

Splendid
Gigabyte boards are generally good. Whether this particular board will fit your needs is only something that you can tell.

As for Newegg reviews, take them as a general opinion only. If a product has lots of reviews, or even hundreds, and is rated overall as good, it probably is. Conversely, if a product is rated bad after a lot of reviews, its probably a good idea not to get it. Also note what the reviewers complain about, like a board not having firewire, multiple IDE slots, etc. That type of thing doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the board. It means the idiot didn't read the specifications before buying it.

The best places to read reviews are sites like Tom's, Anandtech, Hardocp, etc. They will give you reviews of what the hardware can do and what it can't, what it might fail at, what it does well. Also, don't just read one review from these. Read a few and compare. One site may have just gotten a bad piece of hardware, used older drivers or had some other problem that other sites didn't encounter.

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
I'm more scared by many of the reviewers than by the reviews - a lot of them are obviously clueless.

However, imo you should now be looking at getting a P35 chipset mobo like the P35-DS3 instead.

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Yeah I hate that when a persons looks at something like a case and gives it 1 egg because it doesn't have front panel firewire ports. That totally doesn't matter and 1 egg is pretty darn harsh for something like that.

rowenmeister

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
I would base my decision on tech reviews. Sometimes you find helpful comments but you won't find the ins and outs.

Newegg Rocks! They recieve alot of my money!

roncpem

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
I have revision 1. Have used it about 6 months. No problems. I have an e6300 OC'd to 2.8. Patriot 677 4 4 4 12 ram, 2 x 512, antec neo 480 power supply, 2 150 gig raptors in raid 0. Again, no problems.

maguszxz

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I think alot of reviews on newegg are from eggheads that don't know what the hell they are doing or talking about. If you're planning on OCing that's a great board. It has it's bugs I'm sure but there aren't too many boards out there that are perfect. Also I've never had a problem with anything from newegg, but do your research and look for reviews. I assume you're not planning on going SLI/Crossfire, so I might suggest the evga 650i ULTRA motherboard, since it OC's pretty good as well, and it's $30 cheaper.

I have a few questions though:
1) what power supply?
2) XP or Vista?
3) what graphics card?
4) what case?
5) any aftermarket cooler(s)?
6) What RAM?(speed, brand, quantity)

Cooler Master 550W PSU
XP(or dual boot Vista/XP/Ubuntu)
XFX Geforce 7900GS 256MB
Cooler Master Centurion
None, run on stock speeds
Muskin 2GB(2x1GB) DDR2 SDRAM 800
Thinking about throwing in a fan for the northbrige.

disposablehero

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
re: newegg, zzf, tiger, pricegrabber, etc. user reviews

i like to sort by lowest rating and then do my own check of the 'ownership' field. IMO, you shouldnt be writing a review of an item until you've had ample time to use it, unless its a case of multiple DOA issues. i never trust the 1 day to 1 week folks and rarely believe the 1 week to 1 month reviewers.

there have been many things in my life that ive bought and fought with for the first day or week that i owned it, only to later realize it was the best thing i ever owned.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
Yup i agree, i got my 3500+ like the week that 64bit came out over here and i had NO END of crap with it i was threatening to take it back to the supplier but i eventually found out that i was being the dumb one and that cool and quiet was a very dumb idea you have no idea how pissed of you can get with something that has not committed any crimes when in actual fact it is your own damn fault.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
You have to take everything with a grain of salt here, especially considering that you can find all sorts of shills/fanboys posting random reviews ("Gigabyte sucks, buy Asus instead!").

BTW, I've had a Gigabyte board repaired 3 times already - it's now going in for its 4th "repair" since it died 3 days ago. IMO, Gigabyte SUCKS! I had an ASUS board with problems, sent it in, and ASUS sent me a BRAND NEW board within a week in a half (I had to wait over 2 weeks for Gigabyte, not to mention all the down time).

Just my 2 cents...

alarinn

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
Especially concerning all 680i mobos. There are many people complaining that after several weeks or months that their 680i mobos fried their memory. Some have spent $hundreds to RMAs, new replacements, etc. With any new hardware there will be the unknowns that don't become apparent until much later. When I purchase an item that is completely new, I tend to wait a few months to make sure nothing occurs after the breakin period. Usually, you don't have to worry about older hardware since it's made it past the initial breakin phase and maybe even get a new revision.

I also tend to look at products with many reviews than those with few.

chaddeus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
Sometimes, people who write review are people who are angry and want to voice it out.

Personally, I think if someone is having problem with a particular product multiple times, I would think its something wrong with the user rather than the product. YOu can't be so unlucky to face the same problems again and again!!

Having that said, these are online retailers. They do nothing but to sell you a product. They have no control over the quality of the item they sell (kind of). Your best bet is to research about the product that you want to buy and then search a seller that you are comfortable with.

Anyway, in regards to Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, make sure you are getting the version 3.3 and not the older version.
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=322342

I am not sure what Newegg version they are seling but you can give them a call and ask.

- Charles

xnamerxx

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
I work as a computer tech and I build and setup many comptuers for my company using that board. Its a great board and I have yet to see a bad one. You do also have to realize some of the people who are writing those reviews dont know how to build or properly assemble a computer. As well as many of the computers I see have pretty ####ty psu that comes with the case. As well as people do believe that their case comes with a 500w psu so it should easliy handle my 8800gtx even those the psu only puts out 16a on the 12v rail.

Pax2All

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Good board. Rock-solid at stock and solid overclocker. Tips- Dont use @bios to flash bios- Fan on the NB helps but you should be fine running stock without one- Rev 3.3 would be best