[SOLVED] Scared to clean CoolerMaster Seidon 120v Radiator?

Wheaten

Commendable
Nov 27, 2019
Hi,

I bought a pre built PC about a year ago and have neglected to clean it due to being scared but after researching a little bit I'm gaining the confidence to clean it!

If I take off the fan is it alright to wrap the CPU block in a concealed bag and run water through the radiator? I do have compressed air handy but I've read with really dirty Radiators using compressed air may not do the trick and even push dust deeper in to the radiator fins but I will try both methods anyway. I have attached a stock picture of the cooler.

View: https://imgur.com/a/2LXVsKr

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you very much.

Solution
No need for a bag, although you can put the pump inside a plain ziploc baggie if you choose. That's only to protect it from an inadvertent splash.

The radiator you can submerge in a bowl of soapy water, rinse it under the tap, blow air through it to speed up the drying process, even use a hairdryer on it if you wish.

It's made to contain inside a liquid under pressure, by default it'll also protect that same liquid from anything outside. Just don't scrub the fins, they are quite soft.

Wheaten

Commendable
Nov 27, 2019
If you mean bagging up the pump and electronics, sure, you can run it under that tap. Though compressed air should take care of it, you can just visually look through it to check.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. The fan can be detached from the Radiator which makes it easier. I'll try my luck with compressed air and see how far it goes, I hope it does the trick and last resort will be to use the water method and i'll be very careful to bag the CPU cooler.

Is there anything I need to be concerned with regarding the hoses as I keep thinking when I run the radiator under the tap that water will go down the hoses?
(i'll be as gentle and patient with it as I can as I don't want to damage anything).

Wheaten

Commendable
Nov 27, 2019
AIO coolers are essentially sealed, the tubes and radiator shouldn't have any leaks. The only reason to bag up the pump and cooler is that the there are electronics and wires on that end.
Oh, great! I was absolutely terrified water would go down the hoses and cause damage. Any specific kind of bag I should use?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No need for a bag, although you can put the pump inside a plain ziploc baggie if you choose. That's only to protect it from an inadvertent splash.

The radiator you can submerge in a bowl of soapy water, rinse it under the tap, blow air through it to speed up the drying process, even use a hairdryer on it if you wish.

It's made to contain inside a liquid under pressure, by default it'll also protect that same liquid from anything outside. Just don't scrub the fins, they are quite soft.

Solution

Wheaten

Commendable
Nov 27, 2019
Take off the fan and just rinse it with water
That's the plan! Was just worried about damaging it because of the hoses attached to it and the fact the block has electronic components, thought that once the radiator came in to contact with water it would travel up the hoses and damage the CPU block/pump, but after reading these comments, I'm feeling very confident on carrying out the clean.

Wheaten

Commendable
Nov 27, 2019

I will try this method with the bowl with soapy water. I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you very much for all the responses and support, I greatly appreciate it.