Discussion Scared to plug in my new card

Iso4

Prominent
Sep 5, 2020
I've been trying to upgrade my 1080 to a 30 series since they launched last year and I finally got a card, but now I'm scared to plug it in. Between covid shortages bottle necking PC components and one really bad experience I had where I bricked a whole build after replacing the cmos battery, I'm worried that something could go wrong and I could wreck my PC, including my new card. I know that upgrading a gpu is one of the easier things you can do, but ever since I fried that PC with the cmos battery I've been scared to touch another build. I still don't know what went wrong.

Am I worried over nothing? Are there steps I can take to make sure things go smoothly?

I've been trying to upgrade my 1080 to a 30 series since they launched last year and I finally got a card, but now I'm scared to plug it in. Between covid shortages bottle necking PC components and one really bad experience I had where I bricked a whole build after replacing the cmos battery, I'm worried that something could go wrong and I could wreck my PC, including my new card. I know that upgrading a gpu is one of the easier things you can do, but ever since I fried that PC with the cmos battery I've been scared to touch another build. I still don't know what went wrong.

Am I worried over nothing? Are there steps I can take to make sure things go smoothly?

1. Ensure your power supply is suitable for your new GPU (right wattage, good quality, came with the cables you need to plug into your new GPU).

2. Unplug your PC and press the power button to ensure there is no residual electricity anywhere in the system.

3. Ground your self with a grounding strap and ensure you won't build up static electricity accidentally by doing this upgrade on something other than carpet, such as a wood floor.

4. Gently insert your new GPU without directly touching any electrical contact points with your fingers.

5. Plug in your GPU, plug your PC in, cross your fingers and press the power button.

Iso4

Prominent
Sep 5, 2020
1. Ensure your power supply is suitable for your new GPU (right wattage, good quality, came with the cables you need to plug into your new GPU).

2. Unplug your PC and press the power button to ensure there is no residual electricity anywhere in the system.

3. Ground your self with a grounding strap and ensure you won't build up static electricity accidentally by doing this upgrade on something other than carpet, such as a wood floor.

4. Gently insert your new GPU without directly touching any electrical contact points with your fingers.

5. Plug in your GPU, plug your PC in, cross your fingers and press the power button.

I'm with you until #5. It's crossing my fingers that makes me nervous :coldsweat:

what was your plan when purchasing the card if you're not even going to install it?

you can always pay someone to do it for you but that would be a definite waste of money.
any issue that may arise while you were doing the installation could still occur if someone else was doing it.

a few things you can do / make sure of;
make sure you have a reliable power supply that can provide enough power and has the proper PCIe power cables necessary.
make sure you are grounded and any static is discharged before starting.
maybe watch some do-it-yourself videos to gain a bit of confidence and asure you see how it should be done.