scart out to s-video in...is this possible?

fred

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech,uk.rec.video.digital,rec.video (More info?)

I'm trying to get some of my old iffy VHS stuff into the PC and am using a pinnacle card -
it all seems to work OK using RF but the results are very average - no surprise there.
The card also has an s-video input but apart from the RF-out there's only a scart on my
VCR. Is there such a thing as a scart-to-s-video? Would it be bidirectional?

fred wrote:

> Is there such a thing as a scart-to-s-video?

Only if it's an S-VHS deck.

> Would it be bidirectional?

Yes, though the bi-directional adaptors usualy have a manual IN/OUT
switch on the side.

Regards

Mark

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech,uk.rec.video.digital,rec.video (More info?)

In message <g3lq70t4bmgms6suvfpajnblkqbgcq9id6@4ax.com>, fred <a@b.x>
writes
>I'm trying to get some of my old iffy VHS stuff into the PC and am
>using a pinnacle card -
>it all seems to work OK using RF but the results are very average - no
>surprise there.
>The card also has an s-video input but apart from the RF-out there's
>only a scart on my
>VCR. Is there such a thing as a scart-to-s-video?

Yes, you can buy an adapter like that shown at:
http://www.camcord.info/scart.jpg

You can pay anything from £3 to £20 for one. I got mine from a local
market stall selling electrical bits. If you have problems, you could
try Maplin's website.

>Would it be bidirectional?

Note the IN/OUT switch.
--
Tony Morgan
http://www.camcord.info

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:10:44 +0100, fred <a@b.x> wrote:

>I'm trying to get some of my old iffy VHS stuff into the PC and am using a pinnacle card -
>it all seems to work OK using RF but the results are very average - no surprise there.
>The card also has an s-video input but apart from the RF-out there's only a scart on my
>VCR. Is there such a thing as a scart-to-s-video? Would it be bidirectional?

S-video is supported on a SCART connector, but it's unlikely that the
relevant pin is connected to anything useful on your VCR. Unless
it's a S-VHS machine it will usually feed to a luminance input - hence
the common complaint of people who have noted SCART has a pin marked
"S-video" but can only get a monochrome result when using it.

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 20:29:23 +0100, Laurence Payne <l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk>
wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:10:44 +0100, fred <a@b.x> wrote:
>
>>I'm trying to get some of my old iffy VHS stuff into the PC and am using a pinnacle card -
>>it all seems to work OK using RF but the results are very average - no surprise there.
>>The card also has an s-video input but apart from the RF-out there's only a scart on my
>>VCR. Is there such a thing as a scart-to-s-video? Would it be bidirectional?
>
>S-video is supported on a SCART connector, but it's unlikely that the
>relevant pin is connected to anything useful on your VCR. Unless
>it's a S-VHS machine it will usually feed to a luminance input - hence
>the common complaint of people who have noted SCART has a pin marked
>"S-video" but can only get a monochrome result when using it.

Oh, well thanks for the warning...

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 19:27:26 +0100, Tony Morgan <tonymorgan@xtreme.pipex.net> wrote:

>In message <g3lq70t4bmgms6suvfpajnblkqbgcq9id6@4ax.com>, fred <a@b.x>
>writes
>>I'm trying to get some of my old iffy VHS stuff into the PC and am
>>using a pinnacle card -
>>it all seems to work OK using RF but the results are very average - no
>>surprise there.
>>The card also has an s-video input but apart from the RF-out there's
>>only a scart on my
>>VCR. Is there such a thing as a scart-to-s-video?
>
>Yes, you can buy an adapter like that shown at:
>http://www.camcord.info/scart.jpg

cheers - I'll check this out..

>You can pay anything from £3 to £20 for one. I got mine from a local
>market stall selling electrical bits. If you have problems, you could
>try Maplin's website.
>
>>Would it be bidirectional?
>
>Note the IN/OUT switch.

fred

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech,uk.rec.video.digital,rec.video (More info?)

replies appreciated - what can one get an S-VHS deck for nowadays (are they still
manufacured)

Will I see a significant improvement in quality over the RF option?

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech,uk.rec.video.digital,rec.video (More info?)

In message <tqas70lcur69kaa53j0pnirjnu5f9i5hvb@4ax.com>, fred <a@b.x>
writes
>replies appreciated - what can one get an S-VHS deck for nowadays (are
>they still
>manufacured)
>
>Will I see a significant improvement in quality over the RF option?

You obviously missed it when I mentioned that S-VHS is a *recording*
technology NOT a video format.

You should be trying to avoid interconnecting your kit by RF, using
(wherever possible except for the first RF "input") SCART. If you're
using a Sky of FreeToView box then you can use only SCART to
interconnect.

S-VHS VCRs can be bought for under £100 these days (Panasonic do a range
of them). With VHS you'll get about 250 lines resolution, with S-VHS
you'll get 400 lines resolution.

S-VHS tapes are a little more expensive than VHS, but if you buy premium
quality VHS tapes [1] you can convert them to S-VHS by drilling a little
hole in the case.

1. I'd always advise anyone to go the extra mile and always
buy tapes of a better quality than the usual supermarket
"fiver-for-a-pound" quality,.
--
Tony Morgan
http://www.camcord.info

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:17:36 +0100, Tony Morgan <tonymorgan@xtreme.pipex.net> wrote:

>>Will I see a significant improvement in quality over the RF option?
>
>You obviously missed it when I mentioned that S-VHS is a *recording*
>technology NOT a video format.

no

fred

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech,uk.rec.video.digital,rec.video (More info?)

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:17:36 +0100, Tony Morgan <tonymorgan@xtreme.pipex.net> wrote:

>In message <tqas70lcur69kaa53j0pnirjnu5f9i5hvb@4ax.com>, fred <a@b.x>
>writes
>>replies appreciated - what can one get an S-VHS deck for nowadays (are
>>they still
>>manufacured)
>>
>>Will I see a significant improvement in quality over the RF option?
>
>You obviously missed it when I mentioned that S-VHS is a *recording*
>technology NOT a video format.
>
>You should be trying to avoid interconnecting your kit by RF, using
>(wherever possible except for the first RF "input") SCART. If you're
>using a Sky of FreeToView box then you can use only SCART to
>interconnect.
>
>S-VHS VCRs can be bought for under £100 these days (Panasonic do a range
>of them). With VHS you'll get about 250 lines resolution, with S-VHS
>you'll get 400 lines resolution.
>
>S-VHS tapes are a little more expensive than VHS, but if you buy premium
>quality VHS tapes [1] you can convert them to S-VHS by drilling a little
>hole in the case.
>
>1. I'd always advise anyone to go the extra mile and always
> buy tapes of a better quality than the usual supermarket
> "fiver-for-a-pound" quality,.

I've got a few commercially recorded old French movies on VHS. At this stage I'm only
trying to establish whether using and RF connector to the card will give me as good as I
can get. I'm a champion of laziness so on the basis that the law of diminishing returns
might apply, I don't want to put in 100% more effort for a 5% increase in quality.

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech,uk.rec.video.digital,rec.video (More info?)

In message <u8is70to717fs8m2lj30ualkih393e1u8v@4ax.com>, fred <a@b.x>
writes
>On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:17:36 +0100, Tony Morgan
><tonymorgan@xtreme.pipex.net> wrote:
>
>>>Will I see a significant improvement in quality over the RF option?
>>
>>You obviously missed it when I mentioned that S-VHS is a *recording*
>>technology NOT a video format.
>
>no

Then why the remark "Will I see a significant improvement in quality
over the RF option?"
--
Tony Morgan
http://www.camcord.info

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech,uk.rec.video.digital,rec.video (More info?)

In message <oais70hmfp3d7oc3me7ki8vgpegstij6u3@4ax.com>, fred <a@b.x>
writes
>I've got a few commercially recorded old French movies on VHS. At this
>stage I'm only trying to establish whether using and RF connector to
>the card will give me as good as I can get. I'm a champion of laziness
>so on the basis that the law of diminishing returns might apply, I
>don't want to put in 100% more effort for a 5% increase in quality.

Then I'm wondering why on earth you raised S-VHS in the first place :)

It's fundamental, BTW, that you can never improve (in quality) on what
you start with (or, indeed, on any intermediate format/recording media).
--
Tony Morgan
http://www.camcord.info

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech,uk.rec.video.digital,rec.video (More info?)

> It's fundamental, BTW, that you can never improve (in quality) on what
> you start with (or, indeed, on any intermediate format/recording
media).

Then I guess I should forget about all the color correction I'm going to
do in Premier with 10-20 year old VHS tapes? <g>

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech,uk.rec.video.digital,rec.video (More info?)

In message <9kns70lvj3ivtk2hvu2irnmaavrrdekbgm@4ax.com>, fred <a@b.x>
writes

Snipped...

>thanks, I'll see if I can pick up something cheap. Is this scart
>adaptor basically a scart plug with flying leads or will it just be a
>plug with 3 female phonos sticking out of its back?

I'd really recommend that you try to get an in-line adapter like shown
at:
http://www.camcord.info/scart.jpg

This means that if you also get a 3 x RCA to 3 x RCA lead, you can leave
everything in place.

If you can't get what you need locally, you could try:
http://www.maplin.co.uk and search on 'scart adapter'.

Good service there with next-day delivery (usually).
--

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 12:25:49 +0100, Tony Morgan <tonymorgan@xtreme.pipex.net> wrote:

>In message <oais70hmfp3d7oc3me7ki8vgpegstij6u3@4ax.com>, fred <a@b.x>
>writes
>>I've got a few commercially recorded old French movies on VHS. At this
>>stage I'm only trying to establish whether using and RF connector to
>>the card will give me as good as I can get. I'm a champion of laziness
>>so on the basis that the law of diminishing returns might apply, I
>>don't want to put in 100% more effort for a 5% increase in quality.
>
>Then I'm wondering why on earth you raised S-VHS in the first place :)

because another poster suggested an S-VHS deck would provide me with an s-video output -
I'm afraid i'm at the mercy of all of you where reliability of info is concerned.

>It's fundamental, BTW, that you can never improve (in quality) on what
>you start with (or, indeed, on any intermediate format/recording media).

Or indeed on anything in nature - entropy and the 2nd law of thermodynamics sees to that.

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech,uk.rec.video.digital,rec.video (More info?)

In message <g3ts70tlgsqvsmr7h1ve0ne5b60g21kjep@4ax.com>, fred <a@b.x>
writes
Snipped....

>>It's fundamental, BTW, that you can never improve (in quality) on what
>>you start with (or, indeed, on any intermediate format/recording media).
>
>Or indeed on anything in nature

Dunno about that.....
Bad genes don't (always) make bad siblings.

--

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:45:08 +0100, Tony Morgan <tonymorgan@xtreme.pipex.net> wrote:

>In message <g3ts70tlgsqvsmr7h1ve0ne5b60g21kjep@4ax.com>, fred <a@b.x>
>writes
>Snipped....
>
>>>It's fundamental, BTW, that you can never improve (in quality) on what
>>>you start with (or, indeed, on any intermediate format/recording media).
>>
>>Or indeed on anything in nature
>
>Dunno about that.....
>Bad genes don't (always) make bad siblings.

entropy has no respect for family trees

Tony Morgan wrote:

> It's fundamental, BTW, that you can never improve (in quality) on what
> you start with (or, indeed, on any intermediate format/recording
> media).

Pah, it works all the time on CSI and Alias so it must be true!

Regards

Mark

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech,uk.rec.video.digital,rec.video (More info?)

In message <407E978C.7A34@rbgkew.org.uk>, Mark A
<m.annetts-nospam@rbgkew.org.uk> writes
>Tony Morgan wrote:
>>
>> It's fundamental, BTW, that you can never improve (in quality) on what
>> you start with (or, indeed, on any intermediate format/recording
>> media).
>
>Pah, it works all the time on CSI and Alias so it must be true!

ROFL
--
Tony Morgan
http://www.camcord.info

DaveR

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech,uk.rec.video.digital,rec.video (More info?)

Doesn't your Pinnacle have a video in as well? Not as good a SVideo but
better than rf and sure to be present in the scart connector.

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 20:54:42 +1200, "Daver" <jbrockley@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Doesn't your Pinnacle have a video in as well? Not as good a SVideo but
>better than rf and sure to be present in the scart connector.

there's an RCA connector on the card labeled 'composite'. Could I use that? Would this
connect to the scart? Please forgive my profound ignorance.

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 10:11:00 +0100, fred <a@b.x> wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 20:54:42 +1200, "Daver" <jbrockley@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Doesn't your Pinnacle have a video in as well? Not as good a SVideo but
>>better than rf and sure to be present in the scart connector.
>
>there's an RCA connector on the card labeled 'composite'. Could I use that? Would this
>connect to the scart? Please forgive my profound ignorance.

ok - i've seen the layout for scart and it looks like pin 19 and a ground is required. Is
this a standard scart-to-RCA cable?

>>"fred" <a@b.x> wrote in message

>>> I've got a few commercially recorded old French movies on VHS. At this
>>stage I'm only
>>> trying to establish whether using and RF connector to the card will give
>>me as good as I
>>> can get. I'm a champion of laziness so on the basis that the law of
>>diminishing returns
>>> might apply, I don't want to put in 100% more effort for a 5% increase in
>>quality.

Trev

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2001

"fred" <a@b.x> wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 10:11:00 +0100, fred <a@b.x> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 20:54:42 +1200, "Daver" <jbrockley@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> >>Doesn't your Pinnacle have a video in as well? Not as good a SVideo
but
> >>better than rf and sure to be present in the scart connector.
> >
> >there's an RCA connector on the card labeled 'composite'. Could I use
that? Would this
> >connect to the scart? Please forgive my profound ignorance.
>
> ok - i've seen the layout for scart and it looks like pin 19 and a
ground is required. Is
> this a standard scart-to-RCA cable?

You can get Scart to six phono and scart to three with a in out switch
The yellow phone plugs are the composite Video the red and white are the
audio. you will need a adapter to connect the 2 audio phonos to a 3.5
Jack plug that plugs into your line in then under capture settings in
studio select the line in as audio source and composite as video source
and your ready to go. the Composite is both colour and black and white
signal S-video as those separated Resulting in less combing and
uncombing which means less chance to add something you don't want and
more chance to loss quality the RF as even more stages so losses even
more. Now RGB would be nice.

"fred" <a@b.x> wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 11:00:26 +0100, "Trev"
<trevbowden@claranet.uk.invalid> wrote:

> >"fred" <a@b.x> wrote in message

<jbrockley@hotmail.com>

SVideo
> >but

> >that? Would this
> >>
> >> ok - i've seen the layout for scart and it looks like pin 19 and a
> >ground is required. Is
> >> this a standard scart-to-RCA cable?
> >> >
> > You can get Scart to six phono and scart to three with a in out
switch
> >The yellow phone plugs are the composite Video the red and white are
the
> >audio. you will need a adapter to connect the 2 audio phonos to a 3.5
> >Jack plug that plugs into your line in then under capture settings
in
> >studio select the line in as audio source and composite as video
source
> >and your ready to go. the Composite is both colour and black and
white
> >signal S-video as those separated Resulting in less combing and
> >uncombing which means less chance to add something you don't want and
> >more chance to loss quality the RF as even more stages so losses
even
> >more. Now RGB would be nice.
> >
> thanks, I'll see if I can pick up something cheap. Is this scart
adaptor basically a
> scart plug with flying leads or will it just be a plug with 3 female
phonos sticking out
> of its back?

With Leads of .5 metres or more If you have a maplins near you. You
will get a better value then Dixon's. And don't pay extra for "gold
"colour