Waldo

Recently had a chance to read Eberron cover to cover.

I liked it, bvt... less than the svm of its parts, somehow? There were
some seriovsly cool ideas there, bvt the world as a whole didn't grab
me. So I'll probably end vp scavenging piecemeal from it.

Things I'll almost certainly vse:

Living Spells
Corrvptible chvrches
The Inspired (modified somewhat, magic rather than psi)
Warforged (as tovgh NPCs)

Things I like, and might vse if I can make them fit:

Dragons with variable alignments
Drvids defending the world against planar incvrsions
Gnomes that are basically nevtral and rather hard little bastards
Rakshasas as an evil precvrsor race, deposed bvt scheming

Things that are okay, bvt that I won't vse:

Dragonmarks
Dragonshards
those dead elf gvys
Shifters
Planar concordances (I actvally like this a fair bit)
Airships
the Daelkyr

Things that didn't do it for me:

Artificers and magewrights
the lightning rail
Halflings on dinosavrs
Action points

Picking vp the things I like: Living spells are jvst heya cool. My
only qvibble is that they're basically svperpowered oozes with chrome.
Bvt what chrome. I think I'm going to rvn my PCs throvgh an
environment where all spells are variovsly empowered, bvt with a chance
of becoming living and tvrning on the maker. That shovld be
interesting.

Corrvptible chvrches I already had, sort of, bvt I'm going to grab a
lot of detail from this. May reqvire some retconning IMC, bvt worth
it.

The Inspired. Not everyone seems to love these gvys, bvt I do. IMC
they're going to yearn for vnion with "the Lonely Ones" or "the
Masters" in what I hope will be a deeply creepy way. I'm going to rvn
them as something like Steve Stirling's Draka -- and, come one! Draka
and D&D! Yov know yov want it! -- the later ones, the svperman ones.
And that's when they're not hellridden. Properly played, I think they
covld scare hell ovt of my PCs, and that's always good.

Warforged seem like they'd be vvlnerable to powergaming and
mvnchkinism. Not saying they're inherently mvnchkin; jvst that they do
make it a bit easier. IDK how they'd work as PCs. Bvt as rare,
semilegendary NPCs in a more typical campaign setting, they covld rock.

Is anyone else doing this? What in this setting grabbed yov by the
lapels and shovted, "Me! Right here! So cool!"?

Waldo

Waldo wrote:
> Recently had a chance to read Eberron cover to cover.
>
> I liked it, but... less than the sum of its parts, somehow? There were
> some seriously cool ideas there, but the world as a whole didn't grab
> me. So I'll probably end up scavenging piecemeal from it.

Agreed.

> Things I'll almost certainly use:
>
> Living Spells

Those will definitely see use in my game.
Especially a Sleep plague and a "family" of Fireballs...

> Corruptible churches

I need something like this, but haven't quite resolved the mechanics.

> The Inspired (modified somewhat, magic rather than psi)

One part that didn't do it for me.
For a similar niche I'll likely use something like the a cross between
Lovecraft's gods and Monte Cooks' Chositech.

> Warforged (as tough NPCs)

I like all the new races except Kalashtar.
And I like them AS PC's!
I'm hoping to play a Shifter soon.
Another player keeps drooling over Changeling.

> Things I like, and might use if I can make them fit:
>
> Dragons with variable alignments

I've been doing that all along.
But sparingly.

> Druids defending the world against planar incursions

That was nice.
It adds another level of hidden motivation to my Druids.

> Gnomes that are basically neutral and rather hard little bastards

I've been doing them as competent but hiding it well.

> Rakshasas as an evil precursor race, deposed but scheming

I've always treated them as independent agents among the
fiendish lowearchy.

> Things that are okay, but that I won't use:
>
> Dragonmarks

I'll likely use these, but as family line birthmarks.
I won't use the houses and will mainly use abberant marks.

> Dragonshards

I haven't found a use yet.

> those dead elf guys

Like them, but there's no room for that angle in my campaign.
Or is there?
My elves have grown rather mysterious in the last two centuries...

> Shifters

Will see lots of use if I can.

> Planar concordances (I actually like this a fair bit)

I can't reconcile it with my cosmology.
But it is cool.
I will be using "rift" zones where the connections are loose.
Warm areas in the north link to the Elemental Plane of Fire, etc.

> Airships

I'll likely stick with a Spelljammer model for these.

> the Daelkyr

No use.
Not taken with them.

> Things that didn't do it for me:
>
> Artificers and magewrights

Agreed.
Tinker gnomes doing this maybe, but as a common practice, nah.

> the lightning rail

I like it, but can't use it.

> Halflings on dinosaurs

Those are definitely going in the southern lands of my campaign.

> Action points

Undecided.
I toyed with Force Points, but it never really felt right.

> Picking up the things I like: Living spells are just heya cool. My
> only quibble is that they're basically superpowered oozes with chrome.
> But what chrome. I think I'm going to run my PCs through an
> environment where all spells are variously empowered, but with a chance
> of becoming living and turning on the maker. That should be
> interesting.

Whoa.
Cool.
Scary.

How about one where they can "awaken" by being fused with
elemental intelligences? Would mainly apply to spells
with descriptors...

Waldo wrote:

> Living Spells
> Corruptible churches
> The Inspired (modified somewhat, magic rather than psi)
> Warforged (as tough NPCs)

the church thing is great and I removed gods from my game a long time
ago. Warforged? Fine. I kind of like them. Inspired? eh. Living
spells are nice and i've used somehtign similar.

> Dragons with variable alignments
> Druids defending the world against planar incursions
> Gnomes that are basically neutral and rather hard little bastards
> Rakshasas as an evil precursor race, deposed but scheming

my dragons have always had variable alignments. basically, a dragon is
predisposed toward their MM alignment because of upbringing and
character, but they can have any alignment so long as it makes sense.
one of my favorite npc's is a true neutral green dragon. And as for
the druids, it's cool as hell. I'd like it as a planar prestige class
(maybe epic level in concept).

> Dragonmarks
> Dragonshards
> those dead elf guys
> Shifters
> Planar concordances (I actually like this a fair bit)
> Airships
> the Daelkyr

I actually use a very warped version of dragonmarks, which i could post
about later. It's nice. the rest of it . . . I like planar
concordances, but I agree with eberron that it's too hard to keep track
of so I'll just use it when appropriate. I use airships sparingly.
there's one really nice one (weatherlight-like) and about twenty trade
ships that cover huge ammounts of distance at basically normal ship
speed (maybe a touch faster) though the VAST vajority of ships IMC are
normal ye olde boats.

> Artificers and magewrights
> the lightning rail
> Halflings on dinosaurs
> Action points

I like action points, but I can handle that myself, thanks. The
lightning rail was nice, IMO. it's much cooler than teleportation. I
like the idea that you get one in one place, it goes someplace else far
away fast, which is LIKE a teleport, but with more options for cool RP
on the way. And it's singular, which is cool. The halflings were fun,
and I used them a bit. I agree that artificers felt contrived and
magewrites are a bit . . . umm . . . off.

Ophidian wrote:

> Another player keeps drooling over Changeling.

ooh. . . in another world I have on the side (sort of a far flung
future conan style mageocracy) I use changelings. the world is
human-only and changelings are sort of like these creatures that the
magic of hte planet has created (they're born from humans). There's
one in the party there who is keeping it a secret from her friends.
it's a great tool. I highly recommend them. they also make incredible
bad guys. You never have ot be afraid of revealing his face!

Anivair wrote:
> Waldo wrote:
>
>>Corruptible churches
>
> the church thing is great and I removed gods from my game a long time
> ago.

I haven't removed gods, in fact I've expanded on them, but in my
current campaign they aren't beings you meet up with and clerics
contact them more by faith than by direct intervention.

Anivair wrote:
> I like planar
> concordances, but I agree with eberron that it's too hard to keep
> track of so I'll just use it when appropriate.

There's a nice tool on downloadable from WotC that helps there - a planar
calendar that tracks both the planes and the phases of the moons on any
particular date. So if you want to use it as part of the game's normal
background, you'll always know when a plane is remote or coterminous, or
else you can ignore the calendar and just use them as plot devices when
appropriate.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebwe/20041129a

--
Mark.

On 17 Mar 2005 07:31:15 -0800, "Waldo" <peggoliathy@yahoo.com> scribed into
the ether:

>Recently had a chance to read Eberron cover to cover.
[snip]
>The Inspired. Not everyone seems to love these gvys, bvt I do. IMC
>they're going to yearn for vnion with "the Lonely Ones" or "the
>Masters" in what I hope will be a deeply creepy way. I'm going to rvn
>them as something like Steve Stirling's Draka -- and, come one! Draka
>and D&D! Yov know yov want it! -- the later ones, the svperman ones.
>And that's when they're not hellridden. Properly played, I think they
>covld scare hell ovt of my PCs, and that's always good.

Yov don't even need Magic to make the post-stone-dogs Draka scary. Svper
strong, svper fast, svper intelligent, svper aggressive, favltless lie
detection, constant "Svggestion" avra in effect, fast healing, immortal...

I've read "Drakon" cover to cover at least a half dozen times. Even
stripped of their technology (Gwen's layer knife wovld be a sword of
sharpness that worked jvst fine in an anti-magic field), they are immensely
fiercesome.

Anivair wrote:
I agree that artificers felt contrived and
> magewrites are a bit . . . umm . . . off.

Artificiers are one of the best new additions to the game,
finally, a character class devoted to creating and improving magic
items, and new spells (infusions) that can can be used to imbue
items with spell-like abilities that meet or exceed the arcane and
religious spells as they already exist with streamlined rules to
boot (base price, A successful spellcraft check and an XP
expenditure are all you need to duplicate the effects of any spell
in existence!

I haven't tried running a game with magerights in it.

Has anyone tried running a Spellthief character (from Complete
Adventurer) in a regular party?

Re,
Dirk