Scenery Designer for 2004?

Hi all...been a while since I have been simming...but back into
it..(hard to stay away)...I made the scenery a few years ago of
my locale...Lexington,Kentucky (Bluegrass Field)...and want to
do it again...and also create my wife's home airport KLIA in
Malaysia.Question is...what is the best scenery designer out
there,that works great with FS2004? I used the old but great
program Airport a while back...I was going to get it..but have
seen nothing yet that it's FS9 compatible.Any help would be
appreciated!

Doug

Hi Doug:

If you're asking for a recommendation in scenery design tools to
create your hometown airport, I recommend the following programs:

FS2000/2002:

FS Architect 2002: http://www.pouksim.com/ The software is very easy
to install and use. You can download a Freeware version for evaluation
purposes, plus a commercial version 3.00 build 14 is also available.

FS 2004 Compatibility: FS Architect's main features for creating BGL
scenery and mesh terrain ARE compatible with Flight Simulator 2004
since FS2004 supports the legacy BGL format. Importing of FS2004 BGL
files is not functional due to the file format changes. If you would
like to create scenery for FS2004, download FS Architect and try it.

FS Scenery Creator: http://www.fssc.avsim.net/index.html FS Scenery
Creator is my pick for a very nice freeware program.

There are other FS2000/2002 programs as well, such as:

Airport for Windows: http://www.airportforwindows.com/

SCASM: http://www.scasm.de/

FS2004:

Gmax: http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/ The gold standard for
creating objects in both FS2002 and 2004. The program comes with
Microsoft's Pro version of FS2002, or downloads a copy directly from
Descreet's Website.

For modeling the balance of your scenery (airports, runways, taxiways,
etc) you'll require additional tools. I recommend SceneGenX
(www.airportforwindows.com) or AFCAD to handle this area of design.

One final note of caution; the programs mentioned are in a constant
state of development, therefore it’s always in your best interest to
secure the latest version available.

All have a learning curve... practice does make perfect.

PS; I highly recommend the following:

Beginner's Guide to Scenery Design.

This is a "must-read" for anyone interested in scenery design, the
single most comprehensive guide of its type today! available in our
tutorial area.

I hope this helps in some small way, visit the URL below (see sig),
for additional ideas and suggestions.

Good luck

Tom G, Sr.

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:32:28 GMT, Douglas Crowe <out@sea.com> wrote:

>Hi all...been a while since I have been simming...but back into
>it..(hard to stay away)...I made the scenery a few years ago of
>my locale...Lexington,Kentucky (Bluegrass Field)...and want to
>do it again...and also create my wife's home airport KLIA in
>Malaysia.Question is...what is the best scenery designer out
>there,that works great with FS2004? I used the old but great
>program Airport a while back...I was going to get it..but have
>seen nothing yet that it's FS9 compatible.Any help would be
>appreciated!
>

>Doug

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Name: T. & D. Gregor, Sr.
E-Mail: webmaster@scenery.org
Web-Site: http://www.scenery.org
"The Scenery Hall of Fame"
Subscribe to our Newsletter:
Scenery-subscribe@topica.com

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Hi Tom,

You are missing the leading FS2004 airport scenery designers. AFCAD
will add most "flat" airport features (taxiways, runways, aprons,
lights, etc.), while SceneGenX (available from the Airport for Windows
web site) will add those and most of the rest. AFCAD is easier to use,
SceneGenX is more comprehensive.

Other FS2004 scenery design programs include ExcBuilder for exclude
areas, and there is a taxiway sign program too.

Hope this helps,

T. & D. Gregor, Sr. wrote:
> [...]
> single most comprehensive guide of its type today! available in our
> tutorial area.
>
> I hope this helps in some small way, visit the URL below (see sig),
> for additional ideas and suggestions.
>
> Good luck
>
> Tom G, Sr.
>

> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:32:28 GMT, Douglas Crowe <out@sea.com> wrote:
>

>>Hi all...been a while since I have been simming...but back into
>>it..(hard to stay away)...I made the scenery a few years ago of
>>my locale...Lexington,Kentucky (Bluegrass Field)...and want to
>>do it again...and also create my wife's home airport KLIA in
>>Malaysia.Question is...what is the best scenery designer out
>>there,that works great with FS2004? I used the old but great
>>program Airport a while back...I was going to get it..but have
>>seen nothing yet that it's FS9 compatible.Any help would be

GREGORY

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:59:12 GMT, tdg@erols.com (T. & D. Gregor, Sr.)
brought the following to our attention:

airports in FS8 don't seem to have any BLUE taxiway lights.. what's
the best way to ADD some to a few often-used fields?

maybe the answer is simply to `enable' them in menu somewhere?

-Gregory

wrote:

>Hi Doug:
>
>If you're asking for a recommendation in scenery design tools to
>create your hometown airport, I recommend the following programs:
>
>FS2000/2002:
>
>FS Architect 2002: http://www.pouksim.com/ The software is very easy
>to install and use. You can download a Freeware version for evaluation
>purposes, plus a commercial version 3.00 build 14 is also available.
>
>FS 2004 Compatibility: FS Architect's main features for creating BGL
>scenery and mesh terrain ARE compatible with Flight Simulator 2004
>since FS2004 supports the legacy BGL format. Importing of FS2004 BGL
>files is not functional due to the file format changes. If you would
>like to create scenery for FS2004, download FS Architect and try it.
>
>FS Scenery Creator: http://www.fssc.avsim.net/index.html FS Scenery
>Creator is my pick for a very nice freeware program.
>
>There are other FS2000/2002 programs as well, such as:
>
>Airport for Windows: http://www.airportforwindows.com/
>
>SCASM: http://www.scasm.de/
>
>FS2004:
>
>Gmax: http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/ The gold standard for
>creating objects in both FS2002 and 2004. The program comes with
>Microsoft's Pro version of FS2002, or downloads a copy directly from
>Descreet's Website.
>
>For modeling the balance of your scenery (airports, runways, taxiways,
>etc) you'll require additional tools. I recommend SceneGenX
>(www.airportforwindows.com) or AFCAD to handle this area of design.
>
>One final note of caution; the programs mentioned are in a constant
>state of development, therefore it’s always in your best interest to
>secure the latest version available.
>
>All have a learning curve... practice does make perfect.
>
>PS; I highly recommend the following:
>
>Beginner's Guide to Scenery Design.
>
>This is a "must-read" for anyone interested in scenery design, the
>single most comprehensive guide of its type today! available in our
>tutorial area.
>
>I hope this helps in some small way, visit the URL below (see sig),
>for additional ideas and suggestions.
>
>Good luck
>
>Tom G, Sr.

Oh wow...thanks millions Tom!I must say,I will be busy for a spell:)
Back during '99...'00...I created Lexington using Airport..and having
never done it prior..it turned out very well!The ILS approaches were
great..and totally accurate..along with the objects the best way I
could get at that time.GMax sounds superb for things like a big castle
we have down the road from the airport,and the default Keenland
Race track..leaves much ro be desired:)So I think GMax will be a
great program for objects indeed!Btw..I used to go to your site alot
back then..and guess I'll be spending lots more...I sure missed the
flying.Again..thanks Tom...I appreciate your "small way" of helping:)

All the Best...

Doug

Bob

Douglas Crowe wrote:

> Oh wow...thanks millions Tom!I must say,I will be busy for a spell:)
> Back during '99...'00...I created Lexington using Airport..and having
> never done it prior..it turned out very well!The ILS approaches were
> great..and totally accurate..along with the objects the best way I
> could get at that time.GMax sounds superb for things like a big castle
> we have down the road from the airport,and the default Keenland
> Race track..leaves much ro be desired:)So I think GMax will be a
> great program for objects indeed!Btw..I used to go to your site alot
> back then..and guess I'll be spending lots more...I sure missed the
> flying.Again..thanks Tom...I appreciate your "small way" of helping:)
>
> All the Best...
>
> Doug

I'll be waiting for a copy of your work. When stationed at Ft Knox I
flew in and out of that airport many times. It'll be like old times. :)
--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:43:47 GMT, Douglas Crowe <out@sea.com> wrote:

> Oh wow...thanks millions Tom!I must say,I will be busy for a spell:)
>Back during '99...'00...I created Lexington using Airport..and having
>never done it prior..it turned out very well!The ILS approaches were
>great..and totally accurate..along with the objects the best way I
>could get at that time.GMax sounds superb for things like a big castle
>we have down the road from the airport,and the default Keenland
>Race track..leaves much ro be desired:)So I think GMax will be a
>great program for objects indeed!Btw..I used to go to your site alot
>back then..and guess I'll be spending lots more...I sure missed the
>flying.Again..thanks Tom...I appreciate your "small way" of helping:)
>
>All the Best...
>
>Doug

Doug; it's my pleasure. Welcome back...

All The Best

Tom G, Sr.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Name: T. & D. Gregor, Sr.
E-Mail: webmaster@scenery.org
Web-Site: http://www.scenery.org
"The Scenery Hall of Fame"
Subscribe to our Newsletter:
Scenery-subscribe@topica.com

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Hi Tom:

I haven't heard from you in a while, definitely a voice from the past.
;)

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:52:24 -0800, Tom Gibson <noway@nohow.com>
wrote:

>Hi Tom,
>
>You are missing the leading FS2004 airport scenery designers. AFCAD
>will add most "flat" airport features (taxiways, runways, aprons,
>lights, etc.), while SceneGenX (available from the Airport for Windows
>web site) will add those and most of the rest. AFCAD is easier to use,
>SceneGenX is more comprehensive.

In my original posting I give mention to both AFCAD, as well as
SceneGenX...

>Other FS2004 scenery design programs include ExcBuilder for exclude
>areas, and there is a taxiway sign program too.

Thanks for pointing them out Tom. You're absolutely right, there seems
to be a tool for each and every design problem one might imagine. I’m
constantly amazed at the spirit of generosity, the degree of
ingenuity, inventiveness and plain old cleverness demonstrated over
and over again by the FS developer community.

>Hope this helps,

All The Best

Tom G, Sr.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:01:44 GMT, boB <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom>
wrote:

>Douglas Crowe wrote:
>
> > Oh wow...thanks millions Tom!I must say,I will be busy for a spell:)
>> Back during '99...'00...I created Lexington using Airport..and having
>> never done it prior..it turned out very well!The ILS approaches were
>> great..and totally accurate..along with the objects the best way I
>> could get at that time.GMax sounds superb for things like a big castle
>> we have down the road from the airport,and the default Keenland
>> Race track..leaves much ro be desired:)So I think GMax will be a
>> great program for objects indeed!Btw..I used to go to your site alot
>> back then..and guess I'll be spending lots more...I sure missed the
>> flying.Again..thanks Tom...I appreciate your "small way" of helping:)
>>
>> All the Best...
>>
>> Doug
>
>I'll be waiting for a copy of your work. When stationed at Ft Knox I
>flew in and out of that airport many times. It'll be like old times. :)

Ahhh...Gold City...hehe.I was quite pleased with my work at the
time.A friend of mine who flies for ComAir..said when he approached
the my scenery in the simulator..he said it was so familiar...so I
tookthat as a compliment;)I will as before,add the castle,and all the
other things that make it much more uhh..well Lexington..lol
I saw where my old scenery is still on FlightSim.com...dated 1999..
wow how time flies:)I'll keep you posted for sure:)

Doug

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:05:58 GMT, tdg@erols.com (T. & D. Gregor, Sr.)
wrote:

>Hi Tom:
>
>I haven't heard from you in a while, definitely a voice from the past.
>;)
>
>On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:52:24 -0800, Tom Gibson <noway@nohow.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Hi Tom,
>>
>>You are missing the leading FS2004 airport scenery designers. AFCAD
>>will add most "flat" airport features (taxiways, runways, aprons,
>>lights, etc.), while SceneGenX (available from the Airport for Windows
>>web site) will add those and most of the rest. AFCAD is easier to use,
>>SceneGenX is more comprehensive.
>
>In my original posting I give mention to both AFCAD, as well as
>SceneGenX...
>
>>Other FS2004 scenery design programs include ExcBuilder for exclude
>>areas, and there is a taxiway sign program too.
>
>Thanks for pointing them out Tom. You're absolutely right, there seems
>to be a tool for each and every design problem one might imagine. I’m
>constantly amazed at the spirit of generosity, the degree of
>ingenuity, inventiveness and plain old cleverness demonstrated over
>and over again by the FS developer community.

I must say on the generosity and cleverness,and all,,,that much has
not changed a bit...the FS Community was one place I could turn to
with a question,and not feel afraid,or too stupid to ask:) A great
bunch of people indeed:)

And thanks to you and Tom,I have lots to read up on,and do..:)Good
thing I have all my old notes,and maps and all from researching the
last time..at least that work is mostly out of the way:)

Doug

Hi Tom,

Nice to hear from you too. I haven't been doing much scenery until
lately, so I'm trying to learn the new stuff now.

Take care,

T. & D. Gregor, Sr. wrote:
> Hi Tom:
>
> I haven't heard from you in a while, definitely a voice from the past.
> ;)
>
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:52:24 -0800, Tom Gibson <noway@nohow.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Hi Tom,
>>
>>You are missing the leading FS2004 airport scenery designers. AFCAD
>>will add most "flat" airport features (taxiways, runways, aprons,
>>lights, etc.), while SceneGenX (available from the Airport for Windows
>>web site) will add those and most of the rest. AFCAD is easier to use,
>>SceneGenX is more comprehensive.
>

> In my original posting I give mention to both AFCAD, as well as
> SceneGenX...
>

>>Other FS2004 scenery design programs include ExcBuilder for exclude
>>areas, and there is a taxiway sign program too.
>

> Thanks for pointing them out Tom. You're absolutely right, there seems
> to be a tool for each and every design problem one might imagine. I’m
> constantly amazed at the spirit of generosity, the degree of
> ingenuity, inventiveness and plain old cleverness demonstrated over
> and over again by the FS developer community.
>

>>Hope this helps,
>

> All The Best
>
> Tom G, Sr.
> _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
>
> Name: T. & D. Gregor, Sr.
> E-Mail: webmaster@scenery.org
> Web-Site: http://www.scenery.org
> "The Scenery Hall of Fame"
> Subscribe to our Newsletter:
> Scenery-subscribe@topica.com
>
> _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Bob

Douglas Crowe wrote:

> Ahhh...Gold City...hehe.I was quite pleased with my work at the
> time.A friend of mine who flies for ComAir..said when he approached
> the my scenery in the simulator..he said it was so familiar...so I
> tookthat as a compliment;)I will as before,add the castle,and all the
> other things that make it much more uhh..well Lexington..lol
> I saw where my old scenery is still on FlightSim.com...dated 1999..
> wow how time flies:)I'll keep you posted for sure:)
>

> Doug

Gabriella and I actually pulled over and took pictures of the castle.
I'll find them eventually.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)