Scheduled Tasks Will Not Open

Confused

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

In my Control Panel the Scheduled Tasks is grayed out. I
cannot run or open it at all. Under Services it is shown
as being started. But no matter which way I try to open
Scheduled Tasks nothing happens. I keep getting notices
when I start up that scheduled tasks did not run.
I have tried everything and looked at tons of KB's, all to
no avail.

Appreciated any help.

"Confused" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>In my Control Panel the Scheduled Tasks is grayed out. I
>cannot run or open it at all. Under Services it is shown
>as being started. But no matter which way I try to open
>Scheduled Tasks nothing happens. I keep getting notices
>when I start up that scheduled tasks did not run.
>I have tried everything and looked at tons of KB's, all to
>no avail.

This may have been disabled by a system policy. Contact the
Administrator or see "How to Reset Security Settings Back to the
Defaults" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313222).

--
(tm)

Confused

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Thanks for a reply Thorsten!!! I appreciate that. I guess
I should have stated I have XP Home Edition. The KB is for
XP Prof. But I tried it anyway and it just stated not a
good command.

Any more suggestions? Appreciate it much!

Did you install tweaking software? Try to access the Scheduled Tasks
from the Safe Mode. Also check your startup settings to find out if
software running in the background is causing this. Applications that
start with Windows can be found here:
- the WIN.INI, section [windows], entries "run=" and "load="
- the Registry keys
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
- the folders
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\START MENU\PROGRAMS\STARTUP
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\{username}\START MENU\PROGRAMS\STARTUP
See also "How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows
XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560) and "How to Perform a
Clean Boot in Windows XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310353).

--
(tm)

Confused

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Thorsten

I checked and it is running and where it should be. I
noticed under properties of Task Scheduler in the Users
directory it is pointed to exporer.exe instead of the
Scheduled Tasks exe!! What is the exe for scheduled Tasks?

Thanks!

n\Run
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersi
on\Run
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersi
on\RunServices
>- the folders
>C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\START
MENU\PROGRAMS\STARTUP
>C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\{username}\START
MENU\PROGRAMS\STARTUP
>See also "How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig
Utility in Windows
>XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560) and "How
to Perform a
>Clean Boot in Windows XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?
kbid=310353).

>--
>(tm)
>.

"Confused" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I checked and it is running and where it should be. I
>noticed under properties of Task Scheduler in the Users
>directory it is pointed to exporer.exe instead of the
>Scheduled Tasks exe!! What is the exe for scheduled Tasks?

This is ok as long as you refer to the "Scheduled Tasks" entry in the
Start Menu. The command-line should be
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe
::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\::{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}\::{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}
(in one line) because this is an Explorer window showing the contents
of the WINDOWS\TASKS folder.
Try the System File Checker, which you can start with the command
SFC /scannow
via Start > Run. If this does not help either, reinstall Windows: "How
to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315341).

--
(tm)

Confused

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Thorsten:

Guess What! Last night, for the heck of it, I went into
Control Panel and acted like I added or deleted Windows
Components under Add/Remove Components (I changed not a
thing) and hit OK and behold.......... the Scheduled Tasks
folder works now.

Guess What Again! Now when I start up in the morning I get
a notice that Scheduled Tasks were not completed because
Scheduled Tasks was not running. When I check it is
running and no error events either.

A mystery!

Confused Some More

mrjoshd

Turn on the Remote Registry service. Chances are it's gone bad, just run it as LocalService with no password.