[SOLVED] Screeching noise from power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfurnoHD

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2015
So when i run my pc at high work loades, mining crypto, rednering videos, gaming at 4k etc. there is this weird schreeching noise from my pc.

I'm assuming its from the power supply since it has to output alot of power in these circumstances.
However, it might be the gpu, cpu or something else, i dont know.

I've added a sound clip recorded by my phone next to the PC and you can clearly hear the screeching noise stop as i stop stressing my system. Fans still run for a couple more second.

NB! CLIP IS LOUD!

Audio file (13 seconds)

Power supply is a Corsair CV 650 ATX

I hope this is normal.

PC specs:

PpNO7Jo.png

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Edit: PC is about 6 months old. Been like this since day one. Has not improved, or worsened.

What is a double forward topology PSU? Emphasize on topology.

Also, how do i fix this? Get a higher rated PSU?
We don't have time for PSU 101.

Higher rated? Efficiency? Efficiency is not quality. You can get an 80 PLUS Silver PSU and it could still use double forward.

Or do you mean rated higher in the PSU list?

If you don't want the noises, you get a PSU with an LLC topology.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So when i run my pc at high work loades, mining crypto, rednering videos, gaming at 4k etc. there is this weird schreeching noise from my pc.

I'm assuming its from the power supply since it has to output alot of power in these circumstances.
However, it might be the gpu, cpu or something else, i dont know.

I've added a sound clip recorded by my phone next to the PC and you can clearly hear the screeching noise stop as i stop stressing my system. Fans still run for a couple more second.

NB! CLIP IS LOUD!

Audio file (13 seconds)

Power supply is a Corsair CV 650 ATX

I hope this is normal.

PC specs:

PpNO7Jo.png

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Edit: PC is about 6 months old. Been like this since day one. Has not improved, or worsened.
The CV series are more budget power supplies not really made for high end systems.

With what you have if you had say a 1660 video card it should be fine but the demands and power spikes of the 3070 are more demanding.

I have a CV 450 in a PC and it's fine 0 problems but this is used with just a G5400 processor and no video card. I would not be scared to put in a 1050ti or something but for that PC it needs no video card since the most demanding thing it gets used for is like candy crush.

I have seen a post by Jonny saying they sent some power supplies in to test with the RTX 3000 series cards and some worked and some did not.

If you don't mind I'm going to see if he will post on the latest results it will be hijacking your post but relevant to your question.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Higher rated? Efficiency? Efficiency is not quality. You can get an 80 PLUS Silver PSU and it could still use double forward.

I seen a older post from you saying that some Corsair PSU's were sent in to test with the new RTX 3000 series cards and some worked and some had problems.
I believe 2 of these were the RM and RMx do you have anymore information on that.

Asking because it would help the OP in this post but I'm also looking at the RTX 3070 paired with the 850 watt RMx white edition.

The price of PSU's right now is retarded but the bit extra for the white edition would actually save me some money from not buying replacement cables.

InfurnoHD

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2015

Sorry for asking lol. I meant a higher wattage PSU. What im concerned about is if its dangerous or could hurt my PC in the long run. Because the sound i can live with, but if it would be safer to upgrade then i would.

InfurnoHD

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2015
I seen a older post from you saying that some Corsair PSU's were sent in to test with the new RTX 3000 series cards and some worked and some had problems.
I believe 2 of these were the RM and RMx do you have anymore information on that.

Asking because it would help the OP in this post but I'm also looking at the RTX 3070 paired with the 850 watt RMx white edition.

The price of PSU's right now is retarded but the bit extra for the white edition would actually save me some money from not buying replacement cables.

The CV650 is not modular, so i dont have any cables to use on another PSU if thats what you are saying.

The screech is caused by the outdated design of the lower end CV series PSUs, not nessisarily the wattage.

What you need is a better quality unit using a newer design, not more wattage.

The CV probably will be not damage your hardware, but it's still a lower end unit and not reccomended.

I would assume the CV shares the same problem as the VS series with improperly set / nonfunctional protections.

I'm not familiar with XS not having improper or non-functional protections. Can you shed some more light on this?
Going off of memory.

I believe I was referring to this.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-vs650-psu,6017.html?region-switch=1614538487

The over current protection at +12V is not properly set, since it allows this rail to drop close to 11.1V and still the PSU is kept in operation instead of shutting down. We strongly suspect that the bogus +12V OCP setting is the reason behind the very over power protection triggering point; again the unit didn't shut down so we had to abort this test, to avoid a failure.

DSzymborski

Titan
Do: Start a new thread with all your exact details and a full description of what happened and what you attempted to do to remedy the problem.

Don't: Randomly necro a thread from a year ago with completely different hardware because one of the adjectives of a sound is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.