Kevin

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
Hi everyone and I'm sorry if I've placed this in the wrong section, I really have no idea where to post this thread. Anyways, I'm sort of in need of a high school science fair project topic that's legitimate and able to be qualified for regional competition or higher. I really would like to do something on computers or benchmarking such as 3DMark or Prime95 but I have no idea how to design a good experimental procedure and I'm really limited in hardware.

My current system build (a year and a half old) is
Intel Pentium D 930 @ 3.00 Ghz (I can't overclock, bought from Dell)
2 GB DDR2 533 Mhz RAM
nVidia 6800 256 MB PCI-E x16
Intel 945G Motherboard
2 X 160 GB HDs in RAID 0

That's basically my rig so I can't test any fancy stuff and my parents don't plan on buying me much of anything except maybe some software that I'll need. Could anyone here help me create a topic because I'm really stuck.

biohazard420420

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
You might be able to do a study one over/under clocking a pc. If you kept is light on the Oc to keep from stressing your rig and components as is your own system you could show what effects/best timings/setup works for your system

biohazard420420

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Ok just re read the post you could show the drawbacks from a slower cpu/ram/gpu (benefits from faster) if you have the abilities to underclock your system

itotallybelieveyou

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
lame... dude this is totally the perfect chance to say you need a better pc. you either go with another project or new computer cause if you bring your 3dmark06 score anyone who knows pc will laugh soo hard. kiddin but doing pcs for science is never smart do something that is real science

Kevin

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
Hmm that's what I thought. What about anything that could be tested with programming or networking?

itotallybelieveyou

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007
well you can maybe buy cs:s for the video stress test... then overclock your card then see the improvement? i doubt there will be much... do HD tests without the Raid then do it with the RAID 0 again then show the improvement. or do a pc that you dont have and like get benchmarks from other sites? why it's not worth to get sli or crossfire? better the q6600 then e6850? the ati vs nvidia war? the intel vs amd war?

double_helix

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
If its for science fair, why not do it on the CPU structure itself? Or the design of the backside/frontside bus in tandem with the CPU communication? Something like logic gates w/ diodes or transistors...