Scientific computing: core i5 7600 vs core i7 7700k

stanleywinford

Prominent
Feb 17, 2017
I am planning to use my CPU mainly for scientific number crunching, with a lot of floating point operations (linear algebra). How much of a difference is there between these two processors? Has anyone ever run benchmarks that approximate a computational load? I know that LINPACK is often used for benchmarking, but for some reason, I can't find a LINPACK comparison for these two CPUs anywhere.

Thanks for any help!

Solution
The main differences other than the price tag are the 4 additional threads on the 7700K and the option of overclocking.

I would suggest that the additional threads would be useful to you. But it really depends upon the software that you would use and whether or not they can take advantage of the extra threads. Many if not most software does not use the additional threads. The other consideration is the additional processing speed.
The main differences other than the price tag are the 4 additional threads on the 7700K and the option of overclocking.

I would suggest that the additional threads would be useful to you. But it really depends upon the software that you would use and whether or not they can take advantage of the extra threads. Many if not most software does not use the additional threads. The other consideration is the additional processing speed.

Solution