News Scientist Claims Quantum RSA-2048 Encryption Cracking Breakthrough, Met With Scepticism

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The most secure RSA encryption can now be cracked using a smartphone or PC, according to a new highly-contested scientific paper.

Scientist Claims Quantum RSA-2048 Encryption Cracking Breakthrough, Met With Scepticism : Read more
"...as major firms, organizations, and governments haven’t yet transitioned to encryption tech that is secured for the post-quantum era." Hellz-bellz, they haven't even even fully adopted 128 bit encryption from all the hacks, breaks, and thefts reported every day.

George³

Prominent
Oct 1, 2022
I'm having a hard time navigating linked.in. The gentleman is a doctor, doctor (two titles?) in what sciences and when did he manage to dig up something hidden from the time of Pythagoras? Maybe a paleontologist?

Reactions: TJ Hooker

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'm having a hard time navigating linked.in. The gentleman is a doctor, doctor (two titles?) in what sciences and when did he manage to dig up something hidden from the time of Pythagoras? Maybe a paleontologist?

Ludwig-Maximilians Universität München

Dr. rer. nat. (Ph.D.) Physics "sehr gut" (maximum) Thesis grade​

1980 - 1983

Planalto Research​

Ph. D. Computer Science Mathematics and Computer Science A+​

2021 - 2022

I was going to call 'BS' on labeling him a "scientist", merely because his corporate title is "Chief Scientist", but I guess a PhD in physics qualifies him as a real scientist.

It does sound odd to me that someone pops out of obscurity and suddenly upturns the whole orthodoxy. I expect he simply made one or more fundamental errors, thereby invalidating all of his findings, but let's wait and see whether his paper can withstand peer review. However, I'm basing this on nothing more than seat-of-the-pants skepticism. So, let's see if his claims turn out to be valid.

George³

Prominent
Oct 1, 2022
Yes, it certainly doesn't look like someone who would pick up digging tools and unearth an ancient inscription using a previously unknown mathematical technique. I don't even think there is a mathematical technique that hasn't been discovered. Of course, anyone can invent properties of numbers and actions with them that are not real and useful, even though they operate inside their own limited bubble of fictional parameters.

ttquantia

Prominent
Mar 10, 2023
The most secure RSA encryption can now be cracked using a smartphone or PC, according to a new highly-contested scientific paper.

Scientist Claims Quantum RSA-2048 Encryption Cracking Breakthrough, Met With Scepticism : Read more
I would suggest reading some of the most recent papers written by Dr Gerck. They can be found at Google Scholar.

Based on the style and content of those papers, I strongly believe that the state of health of Dr Gerck is not very good. At least one of the papers seems to be just complete nonsense. And I am being polite by saying "seems to be".