Scientists Create Artificial Transistor Gates from E.Coli, DNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Holy crap! First we get an article about a system that can turn anything into a touch screen and now the building blocks of a biological computing age! Again, holy crap!

G

Yah go Green Screens when your computer crashes, hand it a tissue!

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
"he conceded that they are not close to actually producing them for actual products." i.e., it will be 15-20 yrs before anything useful comes out of it.
"we hope that our work could lead to a new generation of biological processors" doubt it. There was never one in the first place and never will be. There are no real advantages that this research provides over existing tech.

1. silicon and molecular-based circuitry is way more advanced
2. E. coli is a living organism, thus the following factors have to be controlled:
a. sustenance
b. reproduction
c. cell death
d. mutations
3. E coli by itself is already 2 micrometers (10^-6) long.
a. Molecular nanomachines being built are exactly that: sizes range from 10^-8 to 10^-7 meters.
b. intel fab process is already or in the process of mass producing IB, which is already several magnitudes smaller than the E. coli itself

4. E. coli is an opportunistic organism. If in your blood stream, it will lead to sepsis, shock, and death. Last thing I want is an E. coli -based computer floating in my blood stream.

ngoy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]au_equus[/nom]"he conceded that they are not close to actually producing them for actual products....computer floating in my blood stream.[/citation]

I have no idea which moron modded you down but I got you back to zero at least. People have absolutely no concept of what happens genetically and what COULD happen if these things happen to mutate. Did the downrater watch or read I Am Legend or see Contagion? Guess what you moron, some movies and books have some basis in fact. Go read some early science fiction novels and see how many things we have now that people only dreamed of then. Or read about the Broad Street Cholera outbreak. 150 years ago, humans didn't know that crapping near your water supply was bad. If it looks clear, it must be ok!

We are messing around with stuff we barely understand.

G

Crap... I am full of this right now. I got some food poisoning about a week ago. My intestines are in knots right now solving logic problems I guess.... reminds me of calculus exam day.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]au_equus[/nom]"we hope that our work could lead to a new generation of biological processors" doubt it. There was never one in the first place and never will be.[/citation]
i guess somebody is admitting they don't have a brain in their head?!

Status
Not open for further replies.