News Scientists Develop GPT Model That Interprets Human Thoughts

domih

Reputable
Jan 31, 2020
It will work, it's just a question of years.

Note that this is not the first foray into scanning brains and deduce a rough image of the thoughts being thought. I remember watching a BBC documentary on the subject. What's new is the usage of LLM + GPT.

There is a genuine good medical application: quadriplegics can pilot devices such as phones or computers or artificial limbs by "simply" thinking.

ralfthedog

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
It will work, it's just a question of years.

Note that this is not the first foray into scanning brains and deduce a rough image of the thoughts being thought. I remember watching a BBC documentary on the subject. What's new is the usage of LLM + GPT.

There is a genuine good medical application: quadriplegics can pilot devices such as phones or computers or artificial limbs by "simply" thinking.
It all comes down to language. This text -> that response. Many complex systems can be described as a one way conversation. This input gives you that output. Math is a fantastic example.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
that subject's cooperation is currently required both to train and to apply the decoder
This point needs to be emphasized.

The technology seems immediately applicable for conscious individuals lacking the ability to easily speak or type. The late Stephen Hawking comes to mind. Others, with "locked-in syndrome", as well.

Totalitarian applications would probably require some sort of sophisticated implant, at the very least. That could be a decade away, or more. Yeah, still too close for comfort.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigdragon
D

Deleted member 14196

I’m thinking minority report will be real someday