Scientists Shoots Lasers at Mosquitoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]juw148[/nom]Kevin Parrish needs to move out of his mom's basement![/citation]
Lol, the funniest thing I've heard all day.

zhelkus

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
What would be the initial price if this was released to the market??? I don't care! I'm getting one!!

Suddenly great white killer sharks with lasers mounted onto their heads doesn't sound so stupid...

cruiseoveride

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
"Okay Bill, this is what we're gonna do. we're going to zap mosquitoes with Lasers!"

How freagin' high were they when they decided that?

Seems like an excuse to research on "real" weapon technology

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
In fact, they even envision drone aircraft equipped with laser turrets that will shoot down the pesky bugs from above with "death dealing protons."
Why am I not surprised you don't know your elementary particles, Mr.Parrish?

Neog2

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
[citation][nom]cruiseoveride[/nom]"Okay Bill, this is what we're gonna do. we're going to zap mosquitoes with Lasers!"How freagin' high were they when they decided that?Seems like an excuse to research on "real" weapon technology[/citation]

I dont know if your joking are you just dont know.
Malaria is a real serious threat in other parts of the world.
Over a million people die each year from the disease.
It is said one person dies from it about every 30 seconds.

I have been overseas and I have seen the effects and its freaking
ridiculous its no joke.

Anything to irradicate this disease is a welecome no matter how
insane it sounds as long as it is cheap to implement.

DawnTreader

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
i cant believe people are wasting thier money on this for "the benefit of mankind" when there are people in parts of the world they could have fed for years with the money being spent on this. i will admit that it is great that they are trying to take out diseases like Malaria, but for crying out loud Lasers? try vacines and pest control.

scarpa

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
"just remember that most US cities spray pesticides in the evening air every summer to reduce the mosquito count. Just imagine the benefit lasers could offer if mounted on the back of those trucks instead of chemical sprayers"

Definitely this technology should get government funding so that we don't have to be intoxicated with pesticides in order to kill mosquitoes.

necro1783

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
[citation][nom]cruiseoveride[/nom]"Okay Bill, this is what we're gonna do. we're going to zap mosquitoes with Lasers!"How freagin' high were they when they decided that?[/citation]

I agree, i mean yea its nice to know their working on some kind of control for the disease but lasers? i mean how do you not laugh in the face of the guy who suggested that.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]joeman42[/nom]Like SDI, this will prove to be a failure. There are so many obstacles for this to work outside of a lab, cost, identifying and targeting the bugs, having sufficient power, range and accuracy to neutralize them (air around a tropical swamp has a lot of moisture and gunk to overcome). This while not harming beneficial insects or passersby.[/citation]
The point is not to shoot the mosquito in his swamp but in inhabited regions where Malaria is killing masses. and certainly it would be much better than pesticides as others have pointed out.
[citation][nom]DawnTreader[/nom]i cant believe people are wasting thier money on this for "the benefit of mankind" when there are people in parts of the world they could have fed for years with the money being spent on this. i will admit that it is great that they are trying to take out diseases like Malaria, but for crying out loud Lasers? try vacines and pest control.[/citation]
This actually IS pest control! and what would be the point of feeding the world if you let them Die of Malaria afterwards? (by the way there is still no vaccine for Malaria so where do you want the money to go, pharmaceutical companies who had their chance but did nothing or cool laser that shoot nasty bugs?)
[citation][nom]DawnTreader[/nom]oh, hold on, this isnt some kind of early april fools would it?[/citation]
Could verry well be!

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
malaria could be prevented but is not curable after you have it.
so i opt for a yes in this project since only eliminate the female.
since the male mosquitoes server as temporary food for but catching reptiles and other animals, that kills many others disease spreader bug..

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
malaria could be prevented but is not curable after you have it.
so i opt for a yes in this project since only eliminate the female.
since the male mosquitoes server as temporary food for but catching reptiles and other animals, that kills many others disease spreader bug..

G

I wonder how long it's going to take before people start increasing laser strength and start 'zapping' their unwanted neighbors or 'friends'...

Grims

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Neog2[/nom]I dont know if your joking are you just dont know.Malaria is a real serious threat in other parts of the world.Over a million people die each year from the disease.It is said one person dies from it about every 30 seconds.I have been overseas and I have seen the effects and its freakingridiculous its no joke.Anything to irradicate this disease is a welecome no matter howinsane it sounds as long as it is cheap to implement.[/citation]

This is going to sound cold, and I will be flamed for not be PC. But, what happens when we do find a way to keep those people from dying, and all the other ailments we are fighting to get under control over seas? Most of theses countries don't have enough food as it is....and we remove there only means of population control....natures secret weapon.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Grims[/nom]This is going to sound cold, and I will be flamed for not be PC. But, what happens when we do find a way to keep those people from dying, and all the other ailments we are fighting to get under control over seas? Most of theses countries don't have enough food as it is....and we remove there only means of population control....natures secret weapon.[/citation]
It was Buddha that said Life is suffering. The small food supply would be a form of population control.

And to tell you the truth, dying of starvation is rather painless towards the end. One's body starts to break itself down, and release large amounts of endorphins. I would much rather die of starvation, then by dying from malaria.

Status
Not open for further replies.