James McKeane

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
I am currently using a Seagate Barracuda ST3250310AS 7200 SATA II 250GB HDD that was harvested out of an dead FreeAgent enclosure as a external storage device using a NewerTech USB 3.0 Universal Drive Adapter. The bare drive is enclosed by a silicone HDD caddy similar to this one http://cdn-images.sewelldirect.com/products/SW-21006/SW-21006.jpg . This morning I removed the drive from the caddy and notice what looked like scorching on the PCB. The drive functions perfectly (in fact better than the HDD in my laptop), but I was wondering if the discoloration on the circuit board is indicative of some sort of malfunction or coming hardware failure. I mentioned the drive caddy because my home A/C is s*** and I have to keep both the drive and my laptop near a box fan at all times. Would I be better off taking off the silicone caddy and setting the bare drive on some flat non-conductive surface of some sort? Pictures posted below.

111d1ead.png

James McKeane

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
I couldn't give an exact temp, but about as much as a warm computer monitor or a laptop under heavy use, if that makes sense. Its enough that it makes me think I should let it cool down for a half an hour.

James McKeane

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Duly noted. If this were any other situation I gladly drop money on a new 1TB, but $70 is still a bit much, or at least compared to back when they were like $40 pre-flood.

Me and my nostalgia :lol: thanks

James McKeane

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
alright thanx man :D