jelardz2000

Reputable
Aug 6, 2018
Hello, when I took my cooler off I noticed that the Vrm capacitors had slight movement. And upon closer inspection there seems to be a scratch on the paint of one capacitor and seems like a dent (haven't seen it upclose yet). The rest seems fine aside from the slight movement it had when the mount was still under pressure.
How bad is the damage and can I still use it safely?

The board is fairly new and I haven't used it long enough to test if there are kinks

Motherboard: B450 Asus ROG Strix Gaming ii

Cooler: Cryorig M9 Plus

Here is a pic for reference (not my actual pic but looks really similar)

images

Solution
Scratched paint or slightly scratched capacitor casing aren't dangerous. Dented or punctured capacitor however is bad. From photo they look fine. Though I would like to see more detailed and less blurry photo of scratched area to be sure.

At next time be more careful with cooler installing.

jelardz2000

Reputable
Aug 6, 2018
Show actual photo of the damage.
Scratches on the paint can be ignored. But if you actually punctured any of the caps, then it must be replaced.

That picture is really just what happened to me but just with one capacitor. I have already put the back the cooler and is hard to take a picture of it. I have no thermal paste left so I can't take it off anymore. I don't believe it's punctured but maybe dented slightly

Scratched paint or slightly scratched capacitor casing aren't dangerous. Dented or punctured capacitor however is bad. From photo they look fine. Though I would like to see more detailed and less blurry photo of scratched area to be sure.

Solution

jelardz2000

Reputable
Aug 6, 2018

The mount of the CPU cooler on the back of the motherboard is fairly loose and it causes uneven weight and probably put all the pressure on the capacitors. But it doesn't look sharp to puncture anything