Scratched mbo chip - No sound

goran_10

Prominent
Feb 26, 2017
I scratched a mbo chip while installing a gpu. Now my back sound panel is not detecting speakers or any other device. Front panel is still working though, and giving normal sound output. The mbo is Asrock B250M. Is there a way to fix this?

Photos (it's the "nuvoTon" one):
http://i.imgur.com/xMw9zay.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/BnXH551.jpg

Solution
Just find something rectangular that's tan or brown with no markings and the same size. If it's yellow it will have a polarity marking on it (with tantalum that's the opposite of the convention of stripe on negative) and could catch on fire if attached backwards. If you have to buy some try to get a range of values like 0.001mF = 1nF, 0.01mF = 10nF, and 0.1mF (ceramic caps have relatively high voltage ratings so you won't have to worry about that).

BTW that soundcard is 32-bit PCI, not PCIe. And Realtek bought Avance Logic which is why all their sound chips still start with ALC.
Lucky you its still working as sound chip is different from other circuits..
where there is nothing you can do now and i would recommend you to leave it like this if you dont want to damage anything else
you can buy soundcard tho..
which speaker you have 2.1? or 5.1?
if its 2.1 then you have to use the frontpanel now....

That's not a scratch, you broke off a SMD ceramic cap. If you can't find it or its terminals are broken off just replace it with any ceramic cap that fits in that spot--the exact value is unlikely to matter much but the current open-circuit certainly does.

Yep, that's it. The raised shape of the pads suggests something had been there on your board too. Unfortunately these small ceramics have no markings on them for the value, but at least you can tell from the color it's not a resistor (which is what you could have used conductive paint instead of).

If you can't find it, measure the size and get one that fits off an old or broken piece of equipment to try.

Hold it down with something metal and just touch the ends with a soldering iron, should just take a few seconds. You could probably even get away with electrically conductive glue such as "Wire Glue."

ALC887 is a fine 7.1 chip and it's such an easy fix, why waste an x1 slot?

Just find something rectangular that's tan or brown with no markings and the same size. If it's yellow it will have a polarity marking on it (with tantalum that's the opposite of the convention of stripe on negative) and could catch on fire if attached backwards. If you have to buy some try to get a range of values like 0.001mF = 1nF, 0.01mF = 10nF, and 0.1mF (ceramic caps have relatively high voltage ratings so you won't have to worry about that).

BTW that soundcard is 32-bit PCI, not PCIe. And Realtek bought Avance Logic which is why all their sound chips still start with ALC.

Solution