[SOLVED] Scratched motherboard

Feb 16, 2019
Hi! I accidentally scratched my motherboard around one of the "screw holes" pic below. Is there any risk for me to just test boot the pc? What I mean is there any risk for any other of my components being damaged when I install them on the motherboard and boot it?

Pic : https://ibb.co/G5SXhWF

Thanks for feedback and response
From a fairly new pc builder

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Hard to say for certain, but it doesn't appear that you cut any traces or shorted any of them. There should be a thin film coating on the back of the board. Hopefully, you only marked that a bit.

If it were mine, I'd fire it up and see how the system works. Chances are good you'll be OK. As to damaging any other components, not likely.

Off-topic, but this kind of makes me wonder why motherboard manufacturers don't put some additional coating around screw holes to reduce the chances of damage in the event of a screwdriver slipping. Even something like round stickers around the holes would likely help, and not add to the cost of the board by any significant amount.

Feb 16, 2019
The onmotherboard lights turn on but I cant start the pc. Nothing happends when I click on the powerbutton. Might this problem be connceted with the scratches?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Off-topic, but this kind of makes me wonder why motherboard manufacturers don't put some additional coating around screw holes to reduce the chances of damage in the event of a screwdriver slipping. Even something like round stickers around the holes would likely help, and not add to the cost of the board by any significant amount.
Those scrathces were on the back of the board. Not likely a screwdriver slip there. And all motherboard screws are Phillips, so there should be no screwdriver slip unless you are really ham-handed. 😊

Feb 16, 2019
Cyroburner
The specs are
motherboard ASUS Prime Z270-P, Socket-1151
CPU Intel Core i7-8700 Processor LGA1151
Ram Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666Mhz CL16 Vengeance LPX
CPU fan Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler
GPU Nvidia 1060 (Cant remember the manufacturer)
Power supply Corsair 800 volts (if I remember correctly)
I pretty sure power is connected correctly to the motherboard

Clutchc the system is complete. Gonna try today to turn the motherboard on with nothing but the power connected.
The scratches came from when one of the "standoffs" in my chassi got lose when I had to take the motherboard out the motherboard. The screw was still connected so I had to get it lose by holding it with a pair of pliers and screwing on the other side.

Example of a "standoff" https://www.amazon.com/6-32-Brass-Motherboard-Standoffs-Computer/dp/B00213KL5I

Feb 16, 2019
Okay got another motherboard now. I power up the pc all the fans start spinning and leds start to glow but I get no picture from the pc? Any idees behind this problem`?