Question Scratched Motherboard

It's definitely scratched but it doesn't appear there's any traces cut...still, it's very hard to tell as it's not clear just where on the motherboard that area is. What it does appear is a component might have been knocked off from a spot just above the tiny chip cap and just below what looks like a 3-pin header. You might check the case for any tiny parts that fell to the bottom.

Still...try reseating the GPU and the GPU power connectors. If you have one available, can you move the GPU to another PCIe slot to try it there?

FWIW, and not very helpful right now, but in the future the only (safe) way you should clean your system is blow it out with 'canned air' type product....or one of the power blowers you can buy. And never disassemble or remove components just to 'clean' them as that just exposes them to potential damage...like this.

Apr 20, 2021
It's definitely scratched but it doesn't appear there's any traces cut...still, it's very hard to tell as it's not clear just where on the motherboard that area is. What it does appear is a component might have been knocked off from a spot just above the tiny chip cap and just below what looks like a 3-pin header. You might check the case for any tiny parts that fell to the bottom.

Still...try reseating the GPU and the GPU power connectors. If you have one available, can you move the GPU to another PCIe slot to try it there?

FWIW, and not very helpful right now, but in the future the only (safe) way you should clean your system is blow it out with 'canned air' type product....or one of the power blowers you can buy. And never disassemble or remove components just to 'clean' them as that just exposes them to potential damage...like this.

I haven't found anything in the case. I tried touching it with wooden stick and it didn't feel like it had any hole (dunno if that's normal) was jus slippery.
I have only one slot so can't check on another PCIe and not sure what you mean by GPU connectors.

I usually use vacuum to blow the dust but i just wanted to change paste and clean CPU cooler

Here's more pics
View: http://imgur.com/a/rmANvHm

I have only one slot so can't check on another PCIe and not sure what you mean by GPU connectors.
View: http://imgur.com/a/rmANvHm
The GPU power connectors are supplementary power connectors some GPU's need...yours may not have any.

That spot really doesn't look like it should have any components affecting the GPU though. It would mostly seem to involve the fan header(s) and memory...you've already said fans work fine. Hard to tell about memory if no display.

What are your system specs? motherboard, GPU, CPU, etc.? Something else might be going on, not related to that scratch at all. If you're running a motherboard with on-board graphics you might try using that to see if it works.

Did you try re-seating the GPU? I've had several systems where the GPU pops out of it's socket when moved even though it has a retention clip.

Do you have a system speaker attached? to get beep codes?

Apr 20, 2021
The GPU power connectors are supplementary power connectors some GPU's need...yours may not have any.

That spot really doesn't look like it should have any components affecting the GPU though. It would mostly seem to involve the fan header(s) and memory...you've already said fans work fine. Hard to tell about memory if no display.

What are your system specs? motherboard, GPU, CPU, etc.? Something else might be going on, not related to that scratch at all. If you're running a motherboard with on-board graphics you might try using that to see if it works.

Did you try re-seating the GPU? I've had several systems where the GPU pops out of it's socket when moved even though it has a retention clip.

Do you have a system speaker attached? to get beep codes?

Motherboard
CPU - FX 4100
GPU -MSI GeForce 1050ti
RAM - GoodRam 4GBx2

I unplugged and plugged all cables, swapped ram slots and re-seated GPU

Motherboard has only VGA but my monitor has only HDMI and i don't have anything that has VGA

Speakers are connected but no beeps

Motherboard has only VGA but my monitor has only HDMI and i don't have anything that has VGA
It's a 760G chipset, with integrated GPU. Yes, it's very basic...but does it work? Pull out the GPU and try to see if it will work, but you'll need a VGA monitor. I don't suppose you know of one you could borrow. There are such things as adapter cables...VGA on one end, HDMI the other. I've never used one, no idea how feasible they are, so if it doesn't work we still haven't learned much.

I suspect your problem could be with the GPU, or the PCIe slot the GPU is plugged into. If you can get good display using the integrated video then you've narrowed down the problem at least. That's why it's pretty important. Even an old GPU with HDMI could be helpful.

The speaker to connect is the 'system speaker'; not the audio. You need have one... like this...and plug it onto the motherboard. Look in the manual to find the speaker terminals, they're usually close to the front panel header.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021
It's a 760G chipset, with integrated GPU. Yes, it's very basic...but does it work? Pull out the GPU and try to see if it will work, but you'll need a VGA monitor. I don't suppose you know of one you could borrow. There are such things as adapter cables...VGA on one end, HDMI the other. I've never used one, no idea how feasible they are, so if it doesn't work we still haven't learned much.

I suspect your problem could be with the GPU, or the PCIe slot the GPU is plugged into. If you can get good display using the integrated video then you've narrowed down the problem at least. That's why it's pretty important. Even an old GPU with HDMI could be helpful.

The speaker to connect is the 'system speaker'; not the audio. You need have one... like this...and plug it onto the motherboard. Look in the manual to find the speaker terminals, they're usually close to the front panel header.

Hey, sorry for not answering

I decided to buy some used bundle with Motherboard, CPU and ram. Hopefully it'll fix the issue because getting a decent GPU atm is gonna be pain

Also upon checking motherboard outside the case i realized that it's not a scratch. I'll post an update after it arrives.