[SOLVED] Scratched my ASUS XI Hero on a standoff screw

Loadhaul

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
This is my second time building a PC, however the ASUS XI Hero is known to be difficult to fit into some cases.
I was installing it into a Corsair 500D RGB when the mobo was unable to fit into the I/O port. Unfortunately in the process my board slipped out of the standoff circled area and struck into the PCB trace lines exposing copper. I have since made some mods to the case and my MOBO is fitting fine with no 'force'.
The scratch is located next to the standoff hole on the left (middle screw below I/O panel)
I'm too worried to continue my build after reading that such scratches like this can be potentially dangerous.

View: https://imgur.com/a/JElRxCe

As you can see the standoff 'shaved' the coating exposing the copper. It isn't like a chip or screw driver scratch, it's more shaved off from the friction between the standoff and the board.

Last edited:
Solution
That could be fatal damage. Exposed, or damaged copper is not good. You can try to cover the area with electrical tape and see if the board works. But if you have a a dead board your warranty may not cover that kind of damage. Check your warranty and if they will take it back get a new one.
That could be fatal damage. Exposed, or damaged copper is not good. You can try to cover the area with electrical tape and see if the board works. But if you have a a dead board your warranty may not cover that kind of damage. Check your warranty and if they will take it back get a new one.

Solution

Loadhaul

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
Even if it does work there surely is going to be consequences caused by this damage even if it's not present upon boot. I live in a particularly humid environment, so that sort of exposure worries me.

This is my second time building a PC, however the ASUS XI Hero is known to be difficult to fit into some cases.
I was installing it into a Corsair 500D RGB when the mobo was unable to fit into the I/O port. Unfortunately in the process my board slipped out of the standoff circled area and struck into the PCB trace lines exposing copper. I have since made some mods to the case and my MOBO is fitting fine with no 'force'.
The scratch is located next to the standoff hole on the left (middle screw below I/O panel)
I'm too worried to continue my build after reading that such scratches like this can be potentially dangerous.

View: https://imgur.com/a/JElRxCe

As you can see the standoff 'shaved' the coating exposing the copper. It isn't like a chip or screw driver scratch, it's more shaved off from the friction between the standoff and the board.

Clean it with some IPA (isopropyl alcohol) and then distilled water on a cotton swab. Let it dry and then cover it with some clear fingernail polish. If none of the traces were damaged you'll be good and the exposed copper will be protected from moisture and oxidation by the polish much better than electrical tape.

If any of the traces are damaged it may not be a total loss as it looks like they relate to the audio section... so test audio. If it's bad you could simply disable on-board audio in BIOS and get a (probably much better) audio AIC to do the job.