[SOLVED] Scratched my brand new mobo, help

May 7, 2020
So i just got a new mobo(MSI H3100f PRO to be exact) and i kind of dropped my whole RX 580 on it full force and this is the result(sorry about the dust tho)
JtSA0tv.jpg

DCc6mL5.jpg

And now it doesn't really get past post or output any video signal, what i noticed is that, strangely, everything -I/O related- works for some time when the board is starting up. So, what happens is, board starts loading, my keyboard and mouse light up, if i press any lock keys on the kboard the lights on it change accordingly, but after, like, 5 seconds even the keyboard freezes and pressing the lock keys doesn't do anything, and still no video signal.

I tried basically all the troubleshooting instructions but nothing helped, can someone more experienced on this kind of thing give me some light as to the severity of the scratches and what i can do to fix that? just to be clear i can buy another board in some time, but i'd rather try to fix this one first if it is already dead (and i have some tools here that i can use).

So i just got a new mobo(MSI H3100f PRO to be exact) and i kind of dropped my whole RX 580 on it full force and this is the result(sorry about the dust tho)
JtSA0tv.jpg

DCc6mL5.jpg

And now it doesn't really get past post or output any video signal, what i noticed is that, strangely, everything -I/O related- works for some time when the board is starting up. So, what happens is, board starts loading, my keyboard and mouse light up, if i press any lock keys on the kboard the lights on it change accordingly, but after, like, 5 seconds even the keyboard freezes and pressing the lock keys doesn't do anything, and still no video signal.

I tried basically all the troubleshooting instructions but nothing helped, can someone more experienced on this kind of thing give me some light as to the severity of the scratches and what i can do to fix that? just to be clear i can buy another board in some time, but i'd rather try to fix this one first if it is already dead (and i have some tools here that i can use).
It looks like you have managed to short the two lines on the 2nd photo. There are possibly a few cut lines on the first too. It is repairable but a very gentle work. If soldering is not your best perk, take it to someone who deals with electronics (and bring him a good scotch too).

p.s do not try booting it again, you can do more damage.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020
It looks like you have managed to short the two lines on the 2nd photo. There are possibly a few cut lines on the first too. It is repairable but a very gentle work. If soldering is not your best perk, take it to someone who deals with electronics (and bring him a good scotch too).

p.s do not try booting it again, you can do more damage.
I'm pretty okay at soldering, but fixing that probably is too much a challenge to me be honest.
But i don't really have any friends experienced with electronics and because of the pandemic all stores are closed here so i think it's going to have to be me in the end.
So could you guide me on what i have to do exactly?

May 7, 2020
Okay, i'll do that then, i'll post updates here.
Thank you for the help.
So, turns out a friend of mine that has tech shop has experience fixing these kind of things, i took the board to him and he analysed it with a microscope and some other tools and he's certain there's no lines cut.

He said that a small component could have been knocked off of the board but couldn't find any closeup photos or schematics of this specific board to check what exatcly got knocked off.

He recommended me to buy a new one as it isn't worth fixing this one.
Do you agree with him?

He said that a small component could have been knocked off of the board but couldn't find any closeup photos or schematics of this specific board to check what exatcly got knocked off.

He recommended me to buy a new one as it isn't worth fixing this one.
Do you agree with him?
Considering the pricing on those boards, buying a new one is not a bad option.
Diagnosing without schematics is a very complex task. You can sell it for 10~15$ for parts and get a new one.

May 7, 2020
Just for the record, based on online photos of the same board we identified that i knocked off two components off my board, which i assume are resistors.
Image taken from internet:
BjOowny.png

My board (notice the sharp edged welding):
jFyByh6.jpg

My friend said that the behavior i described on the first post happens because the board's SuperIO quickly loses tension when it is turned on.

So, with that said, is that T-shaped component to the left of the spot marked a transistor?
Because the left-side that component is linked to the yellow capacitors and the two prongs on the right-side are linked to the missing "resistors".
Could it be that it is an AND or OR gate and the board doesn't charge the capacitors because the missing "resistors" broke the circuit?

Last edited:
So, with that said, is that T-shaped component to the left of the spot marked a transistor?
Yes, looks like this one.

Because the left-side that component is linked to the yellow capacitors and the two prongs on the right-side are linked to the missing "resistors".
I see a missing resistor and what looks like a ceramic capacitor. If you can find the values and fill in the missing elements - you might be able to fix it.

May 7, 2020
I see a missing resistor and what looks like a ceramic capacitor. If you can find the values and fill in the missing elements - you might be able to fix it.

Maybe i won't need to find the values, because of some miracle sent directly from the gods of fortune themselves i managed to find one of the missing things more than 10 days after i knocked it off.
It looks like a golden or copper colored resistor (sorry if i don't know the exact name, i don't know much of this subject):
kXWqHqq.jpg

But it doesn't have any values written on it (that i can see).
Gonna take it to my friend to solder it on the board and if luck is on my side maybe it will work. I'll update the thread when i have news.

Last edited:
Maybe i won't need to find the values, because of some miracle sent directly from the gods of fortune themselves i managed to find one of the missing things more than 10 days after i knocked it off.
It looks like a golden or copper colored resistor (sorry if i don't know the exact name, i don't know much of this subject):
kXWqHqq.jpg

But it doesn't have any values written on it (that i can see).
Gonna take it to my friend to solder it on the board and if luck is on my side maybe it will work. I'll update the thread when i have news.
Resistors are usually black, it appears to be a ceramic capacitor. You still need the resistor as your board is missing two components as you see. Tell your friend to measure the other resistor (left of the missing capacitor) and post the value. I would try a 10kOhm in the blank spot. It should not hurt anything.

May 7, 2020
Resistors are usually black, it appears to be a ceramic capacitor. You still need the resistor as your board is missing two components as you see.
Oh, sorry, i misunderstood your previous post.

I asked for help identifying those smds in a repair forum.
So the top piece is a ceramic capacitor 0.1*10(-16).
The bottom is a 10k resistor.
Okay, i'll pass that on to him, thanks.

I was talking with him this morning about the board and he said to me that he really doubts these two things are whats keeping the board from turning on, he said that my board's "SuperIO cuts its tension with a few seconds after turning on, and i really doubt these two components are doing that, as they're probably related to sound or networking".

But i think i might give it a shot, as he said he's going to charge me only $5 for his time. If it doesn't work i'll just buy a new one, i assume something like that is not going to fry my CPU or RAM right?

May 7, 2020
Update:
I got the components put back in the board, but, sadly, the board it still doesn't really work, same behavior as described on first post, maybe something on the board shorted out?
Well, time for a new one.
Thank you so much for the help anyway, i appreciate it.