Mar 14, 2020
I have predator helios 300 i7 7700hq gtx 1060 6gb and out of the box it have very bad thermals so I decided to repaste it with Arctic mx4. In the process of cleaning up the previous thermal compound I might have rubbed it too vigorously because the thermal compound was not coming out it got stuck on the die. Atlast I was finally able to the clean it off but it left very minor scratches.

After repasting and everything I booted it up and it worked fine, my laptop was super cool (compared to previous performances) but after 2-3 hours of gaming the game crashed and in device manager it showed error code 46 and can no longer usable on the system. Now after uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers the GPU performance sucks but it's there. What can I do?

If the GPU works, the issues appear to be not from scratch you added to it.
Worst case, laptop 1060 GPU seems to have the same IC as the desktop one (downclocked and limited) and it is possible to replace it at a repair shop. You can buy a donor card for about 100$ off eBay and it takes about two hours or so of labor.

Last edited: