[SOLVED] Scratched my graphics card is it hopeless?

Jul 22, 2020
Hello.
Today when I was trying to unpin my cpu cooling fan, my screw driver slipped and scratched a part of my graphics card.

Now my graphics card isnt sending signals to my monitor via HDMI or DVI and the monitor goes black , however. The moniter works fine, since I connected it to the motherboard and there were no problems and it worked.

It also worked just fine with my spare graphics card, the problem was clearly coming from the graphics card

I tried cleaning it and checking for any sort of damage, but the everything was good and lovely.

Checking back on my video card, I've noticed there were scratch that seemed to have destroyed a small solder thingy.

Could this be the root of the problem? If so, can It be fixed?

Here is the picture of that wicked scratch.

https://pasteboard.co/JiSZsUH.jpg

Solution
Given the 'value' of a used 750 in 2020, it's not going to be an economical repair.
It's going to cost you more to fix (assuming you can find someone who can) than it would be to just buy another 750, or even a stronger GPU.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Assuming you mean?
1233.png

Any time you damage a "small soldery thing", you run the risk of problems.

However, the issue likely lies in the traces that you've impacted/damaged when tearing up the PCB like that... Not so much where your screwdriver stopped, more like the route it took to get there.

Could this be the root of the problem?

If it worked before, nothing else has changed (beyond a screwdriver attack) and now it doesn't.... then yes, that's very likely.

If so, can It be fixed?

With the right tools & know-how, almost anything can be fixed..... Whether it's economical or not to do so, really depends on what's damaged.

Not a repair most people could do at home, and anywhere with the appropriate tools/knowledge to repair isn't going to come cheap.

What GPU is that, specifically?

Jul 22, 2020
Assuming you mean?
1233.png

Any time you damage a "small soldery thing", you run the risk of problems.

However, the issue likely lies in the traces that you've impacted/damaged when tearing up the PCB like that... Not so much where your screwdriver stopped, more like the route it took to get there.

If it worked before, nothing else has changed (beyond a screwdriver attack) and now it doesn't.... then yes, that's very likely.

With the right tools & know-how, almost anything can be fixed..... Whether it's economical or not to do so, really depends on what's damaged.

Not a repair most people could do at home, and anywhere with the appropriate tools/knowledge to repair isn't going to come cheap.

What GPU is that, specifically?

My GPU is GTX 750

I don't know anything about electronics and I certainly wont fix it my self, I'm only wondering if it is possible fix the part the scratch has destroyed.

And yes the graphics card had no problem and was running like the day I bought it, This problem started happening after the screw attack.

Thanks for the help tho.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Given the 'value' of a used 750 in 2020, it's not going to be an economical repair.
It's going to cost you more to fix (assuming you can find someone who can) than it would be to just buy another 750, or even a stronger GPU.

Solution