[SOLVED] Scratched my monitor, contemplating buying a new one, am i a dumdum for even thinking about this?

Apr 6, 2021
Hi there!
A couple of days ago I was cleaning my mousepad and dinged my keyboard into my monitor (DELL S2721DGF), and it got a pretty small but noticeable scratch on it. DELL obviously won't replace it since it's not included in their warranty and they don't do repairs. It really bothers me that the monitor I'm using is scratched, to the point that I'm actually contemplating buying a new monitor. Either a new S2721DGF, or an upgrade to 1440p 240hz, like the Acer XB273UGX.

Am I just an idiot for even contemplating this? Or is it somehow justified by the irritation that the scratch causes? I haven't been able to find any place that repairs monitors. Should I just man up or would you buy a new monitor in this situation? Obviously it's a lot of money having 2 high-end monitors, but I really can't stand this scratch and if it's not getting repaired I'll have to live with it for, well, a really long time, and having 2 1440p monitors would be cool for the symmetry and matching resolutions, and for viewing quality when i watch videos, movies, do the occasional multimedia work, plus my current second monitor, a TN, is kinda weak when it comes to being a second monitor due to the viewing angles being very poor.

I'm really just lost right now. I want a (main) monitor without scratches, and obviously the people who don't know what it feels like to have a monitor, that you use on a daily basis, that is damaged, don't think it's a good idea and tell me to "ignore the scratch", when I can't.

So what are you guys opinions on my situation? Think it's worth just getting a new monitor and use my current one as a second monitor because of the scratch and to get dual 1440p? Or am I just being petty?

Thanks for reading :)

Solution
IF you have decided to hell with it, it's got to go (I'm slightly OCD, so yeah I get the 'scratch' annoyance) try automotive headlight lens repair stuff. There's 2 kinds, one is a goop that does nothing but take off oxidation, but the other is sandpaper/buffing compound scratch repair. Uses 1500/3000/5000 grit sandpaper.

Most of what you see in the scratch isn't the gouge itself, it's the sharp edges of that gouge. Smooth out the edges and the scratch about disappears.

But only try that as a last resort, a last ditch effort repair.

I've seen similar repairs done with a non-abrasive buffing compound and a pink pencil eraser.
So what are you guys opinions on my situation? Think it's worth just getting a new monitor and use my current one as a second monitor because of the scratch and to get dual 1440p? Or am I just being petty?
It's your personal preference -
how much you hate to spend additional money VS how much you're irritated about the scratch.

I'd have to see photo of the damage first before giving any opinion.

Yeah, having a picture of how bad the scratch is might be useful for recommendations.

One simple thing that some do to conceal scratches on monitors is to rub a tiny amount of petroleum jelly into the scratch and wipe off any excess with a cloth, effectively filling it in with a clear material that can smoothly transmit light, potentially making the scratch more or less invisible. There's also the possibility of doing a more permanent solution with something like a headlight scratch repair kit. I'm not sure how good that might look when the screen is off though, since I believe that monitor has a matte finish, and these methods could make the area appear a bit glossier.

Replacing the screen outright seems like a bit of a waste if the scratch can be inexpensively repaired or hidden to an adequate degree, since that looks like a pretty nice, modern monitor.

Hi there!
A couple of days ago I was cleaning my mousepad and dinged my keyboard into my monitor (DELL S2721DGF), and it got a pretty small but noticeable scratch on it. DELL obviously won't replace it since it's not included in their warranty and they don't do repairs. It really bothers me that the monitor I'm using is scratched, to the point that I'm actually contemplating buying a new monitor. Either a new S2721DGF, or an upgrade to 1440p 240hz, like the Acer XB273UGX.

Am I just an idiot for even contemplating this? Or is it somehow justified by the irritation that the scratch causes? I haven't been able to find any place that repairs monitors. Should I just man up or would you buy a new monitor in this situation? Obviously it's a lot of money having 2 high-end monitors, but I really can't stand this scratch and if it's not getting repaired I'll have to live with it for, well, a really long time, and having 2 1440p monitors would be cool for the symmetry and matching resolutions, and for viewing quality when i watch videos, movies, do the occasional multimedia work, plus my current second monitor, a TN, is kinda weak when it comes to being a second monitor due to the viewing angles being very poor.

I'm really just lost right now. I want a (main) monitor without scratches, and obviously the people who don't know what it feels like to have a monitor, that you use on a daily basis, that is damaged, don't think it's a good idea and tell me to "ignore the scratch", when I can't.

Thanks for reading :)
If it's minor enough to ignore then do so. If, however, your eyes are constantly drawn to it you may want to replace it.

Irritants grow on you.
If you have the budget, upgrade the monitor and use the scratch as an excuse.
Keep the old monitor as a side monitor for monitors or email or such.
Consider a larger/wider/higher resolution unit which will be more immersive if you are a gamer.

Apr 6, 2021
Post a picture by uploading to a site like imgur.com and then posting a link here. Lets see what you are dealing with.

Of course, here you go: View: https://imgur.com/a/kvm6T7D

I know it might look small, but it can be distracting while browsing sites with a lighter color scheme. Also the camera doesn't correctly picture how it looks IRL when the monitor is turned on, imagine it a little worse than on the picture.

Apr 6, 2021
Yeah, having a picture of how bad the scratch is might be useful for recommendations.

One simple thing that some do to conceal scratches on monitors is to rub a tiny amount of petroleum jelly into the scratch and wipe off any excess with a cloth, effectively filling it in with a clear material that can smoothly transmit light, potentially making the scratch more or less invisible. There's also the possibility of doing a more permanent solution with something like a headlight scratch repair kit. I'm not sure how good that might look when the screen is off though, since I believe that monitor has a matte finish, and these methods could make the area appear a bit glossier.

Replacing the screen outright seems like a bit of a waste if the scratch can be inexpensively repaired or hidden to an adequate degree, since that looks like a pretty nice, modern monitor.

Thank you for the advice! However I've alrady tried the petroleum jelly, and all it did was distort the colors around the scratch further, so no luck there unfortunately.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Apr 6, 2021
If it were me, I would replace. I would be too distracted by it......Squirrel!!!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSUXXzN26zg

Haha, that's me!

Yeah I think that's what I'll eventually do, I don't want a scratched main monitor, so i'll just use this current one as a second monitor, wait a little extra to save some more moola then buy a new one. Time for some epic dual 1440p epicness of epic d00m :cool:

Thank you!

Windows22

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020
Haha, that's me!

Yeah I think that's what I'll eventually do, I don't want a scratched main monitor, so i'll just use this current one as a second monitor, wait a little extra to save some more moola then buy a new one. Time for some epic dual 1440p epicness of epic d00m 🆒

Thank you!
I agree with your tactic, one for main use, the other for secondary usage.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
IF you have decided to hell with it, it's got to go (I'm slightly OCD, so yeah I get the 'scratch' annoyance) try automotive headlight lens repair stuff. There's 2 kinds, one is a goop that does nothing but take off oxidation, but the other is sandpaper/buffing compound scratch repair. Uses 1500/3000/5000 grit sandpaper.

Most of what you see in the scratch isn't the gouge itself, it's the sharp edges of that gouge. Smooth out the edges and the scratch about disappears.

But only try that as a last resort, a last ditch effort repair.

I've seen similar repairs done with a non-abrasive buffing compound and a pink pencil eraser.

Solution