Question Scratched used Xeon. Can i use it?

DarkJoney

Prominent
Nov 21, 2019
Hi. I have bought a used Xeon for my secondary PC at icomputer_parts_international in eBay, and the seller don't want to do a refund, so I want to get some opinions.

I have pucrhased such processors before, every came like after the war, but this one is the worst.
Here is a photo of the damage:
DSC02854.jpg

Well, please help me with some questions:
  1. Is somebody have a 2011-v3 pinout? I was googling, but found a useless table of pins at Intel's datasheet. I need the schematics.
  2. Is it a bad idea to put it in the motherboard for test? I am afraid of a short circuit, but seller claims that it "works".
Thanks!

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
It doesn't matter what the seller wants to do, if it wasn't advertised like that you can return it, contact ebay if the seller wont deal with you.

To answer your question I have no idea if that will work, give it a shot. I wouldn't be worried about it damaging a motherboard but again no way I could say for sure.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
If this wasn't listed in this shape you can either contact eBay/Paypal/CC and dispute the transaction. I would certainly leave poor feedback either way.

Just looking at it from a very unprofessional POV I see at least 4 pin points I would be concerned about. Even if it is "operational" what features or issues with PCI lanes etc. might not be right?

Force the refund and try again with a different seller.

DarkJoney

Prominent
Nov 21, 2019
If this wasn't listed in this shape you can either contact eBay/Paypal/CC and dispute the transaction. I would certainly leave poor feedback either way.

Just looking at it from a very unprofessional POV I see at least 4 pin points I would be concerned about. Even if it is "operational" what features or issues with PCI lanes etc. might not be right?

Force the refund and try again with a different seller.
It was listed like "TESTED WORKING WARRANTY, some minor scratches possible".
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153598598204
So, try to chat again, if not, go directly to ebay support?

DarkJoney

Prominent
Nov 21, 2019
Yep, you may be able to open a dispute. Usually eBay will step in if the seller and you cannot resolve it.

Ebay usually sides in favor of the buyer aswell.
Okay, thank you. I don't really buy on eBay a lot, but all previous puchases was succesfull. Xeons from Aliexpress are coming in much better shape, no issues at all.
Well, should I give it a try anyway?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
It was listed like "TESTED WORKING WARRANTY, some minor scratches possible".
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153598598204
So, try to chat again, if not, go directly to ebay support?

I suppose it would be dependent on your interpretation of "minor scratch".
In a case like this where they are being stubborn, and whether or not you want to try and go through the process, I might suggest installing the CPU and seeing if it works with all memory/etc. on mobo and decide from there. I would suggest that if you got it at a good price, and it operates within your expectations that it may not be worth the trouble.
I would still consider leaving honest feedback as to the condition received in after you know whether it does or does not work properly.

DarkJoney

Prominent
Nov 21, 2019
I suppose it would be dependent on your interpretation of "minor scratch".
In a case like this where they are being stubborn, and whether or not you want to try and go through the process, I might suggest installing the CPU and seeing if it works with all memory/etc. on mobo and decide from there. I would suggest that if you got it at a good price, and it operates within your expectations that it may not be worth the trouble.
I would still consider leaving honest feedback as to the condition received in after you know whether it does or does not work properly.
I see. I mean under minor scratch some like 1-2 pins damaged, some scratches on a thermal die, something else, but not like this one. I was really sad when I unboxed it at the post office, because I prepared everything to build a PC.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
many of the scratched pins might still be ok, but the first two near the center, those will not make any connection i think

no idea if those provide power, connection to the ram, pci express lanes or what, it might or might not work, but the damage is excessive, even if it works, if you move the pc the pins might loose connection and the system might end all of a sudden not working, is way extensive and deep, if it works, won't be usable i think

if you can get your money back, that would be better

looking more at the picture apart form the main scratch, there is a damaged or dirty pin in the top left, also the cpu was dropped and is chipped on the bottom, no, this is sad to see, i wouldn't waste time trying to make it work, sad to see a cpu this damaged and see a seller trying to take money form people with a so damaged part

DarkJoney

Prominent
Nov 21, 2019
many of the scratched pins might still be ok, but the first two near the center, those will not make any connection i think

no idea if those provide power, connection to the ram, pci express lanes or what, it might or might not work, but the damage is excessive, even if it works, if you move the pc the pins might loose connection and the system might end all of a sudden not working, is way extensive and deep, if it works, won't be usable i think

if you can get your money back, that would be better

looking more at the picture apart form the main scratch, there is a damaged or dirty pin in the top left, also the cpu was dropped and is chipped on the bottom, no, this is sad to see, i wouldn't waste time trying to make it work, sad to see a cpu this damaged and see a seller trying to take money form people with a so damaged part
ok, thanks man. I am really sad too, because it exactly looks like a "see a seller trying to take money form people with a so damaged part". Haven't expected this from a seller with a big experience. Tommorow I will test at my friend's service repair shop.

Guys, can I open a ebay dispute now? Because it says " If you're unable to work something out, you can ask us to step in and help beginning Nov 27, 2019. "

DarkJoney

Prominent
Nov 21, 2019
Hi, guys. I have tested those scrap at two motherboards, so, it doesn't post. CPU gets warm, but any signs of life.
Will fight with a seller. Thanks to everyone.