Scratched XP Home CD Replacement

cavornex

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
I have this Win XP Home Edition which I’ve been using since I bought my PC some 3 years ago. Thru necessities of re-installations during those periods, it accumulated scratches and lately displayed errors that failed to load some files. Too late now, cleaning the disc won’t help.

I understand that what I bought from Microsoft is the license, so I should get a CD replacement (either FREE or with nominal fee).

Note: I contacted Microsoft about replacement, but was told to buy new one? What happens to my license then? Anybody out there with same situation? :roll:

Yeah, if I were you I'd just buy a new version XP.
XP Home, in my opinion is terrible. Get Pro. I used to do the same thing, reinstall all the time with the Home version, however, very, very seldom would you need to reinstall the professional version. Unless of course you are changing or upgrading motherboards all the time.

Just get the upgrade version, thats all you really need.
If you have the old CD, you can do a full clean install from the upgrade version.
It will ask you to insert your old XP CD to verify that you have a previous version to upgrade from. It searches your old CD for a few key files to verify that you actually have a previous version, then it will tell you to remove it, and on you go with your install. Unless your old CD is completely unreadable, I'd say it will probably work.

Your upgraded version will have it's own license.
And, on a side note, there are only 2 places your XP CD should be at any 1 time. Either in your CD drive, or in a Jewel Case. CD's don't get scratched from use, they get scratched from improper handling and storage.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
If you were to accidentaly download a torrent file and totally unintentionally accumulate a group of files that may or may not total to a Windows XP Home installation CD as a result, I don't think anyone would mind too much.

You already have a license anyway, it's not like you're stealing anything.

georgelawton

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
And, on a side note, there are only 2 places your XP CD should be at any 1 time. Either in your CD drive, or in a Jewel Case. CD's don't get scratched from use, they get scratched from improper handling and storage.

owned

georgelawton

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
If you were to accidentaly download a torrent file and totally unintentionally accumulate a group of files that may or may not total to a Windows XP Home installation CD as a result, I don't think anyone would mind too much.

You already have a license anyway, it's not like you're stealing anything.

get a job

big_tuna

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
im not sure if its legal or not, but what if you used someone else's cd for the installation and then entered your license# when it prompts for it.i think if its the same as yours (full version or upgrade version )it should work.

Have you tried repairing the disc? You can buy one of those "Disc Doctor" contraptions at any electronics store. I have one and the buffing wheel does a great job making unreadable discs usable again. They cost about $20.

baladorr

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
When you buy the program, you are also purchasing a license to install and operate it on your computer. Installing the program from another person's disk or a disk image you downloaded on the internet shouldn't be a problem as long as you use the activation key that is associated with your license. As long as you don't use a crack nobody will care. It's not like anybody really gives a flying flip anyway.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
As far as i recall you should be allowed to send in the defect CD and, once you´ve proven to have a valid liecense key, get a new CD. The only money it should cost you is what you pay at the postal office (2 ways).

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Ugh...I feel for you. I only tried ringing one of the zombies at Microsoft licensing once to ask a question and what a hideous experience that was, didn't get an answer either. Didn't risk ringing back, another 5 minutes and I might have been tempted to take my own life.

Just wondering if you can manage to make a legitimate backup of the original CD and use that.

Could always try ringing again and hope to get hold of someone sensible, just have a bottle of vodka and the valium to hand.... :roll:

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
get a job

I'm not suggesting he totally steal a copy of WXP, I'm just saying that going through the whole process of getting a new copy of a CD that you already own is a bit pointless when you can do it for free.

Just an idea, so no need to tell me to 'get a job', thanks. I've payed for my copy of Windows and I doubt I'll ever upgrade.

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I have this Win XP Home Edition which I’ve been using since I bought my PC some 3 years ago. Thru necessities of re-installations during those periods, it accumulated scratches and lately displayed errors that failed to load some files. Too late now, cleaning the disc won’t help.

I understand that what I bought from Microsoft is the license, so I should get a CD replacement (either FREE or with nominal fee).

Note: I contacted Microsoft about replacement, but was told to buy new one? What happens to my license then? Anybody out there with same situation? :roll:

Honestly, since they'll tell you all they are selling you is a license, they should replace the disc for a nominal fee. The problem with downloading it is that you'll most likely get a cracked version, which won't ask you to input your cd key at all. So I'd either a) pressure microsoft to send you a replacement disc or b) find a friend with one and copy it so you can use their disc with your key.

You used to be able to buy OEM discs that didn't come with a key for cheap (I have one for XP home, actually) then you could just buy licenses seperately. It was cheaper than buying the retail box version for multiple installs i.e. building computers for people. I don't think they sell those openly to the public anymore though.

G

You can use any other CD as long as the CD matches the license. If it's an OEM license, you need an OEM CD.

G

Yeah, if I were you I'd just buy a new version XP.
XP Home, in my opinion is terrible. Get Pro. I used to do the same thing, reinstall all the time with the Home version, however, very, very seldom would you need to reinstall the professional version. Unless of course you are changing or upgrading motherboards all the time.

How did you arrive at that conclusion? Do you know the differences between Home & Pro? I've used both versions and worked on many computers with one or the other version and I can't see any advantage for XP Pro for the home user. It's a myth that Pro is better then Home.

Grumpy

cavornex

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Things I did to repair scratched CD: Scrub-clean the scratched surface with a Toothpaste: Yeah, the one used to brush the teeth. worked several times as well to my other scratched CDs. This trick I learned from a modding forum I passed-by once.

Anyway, now it wont work, my CD got really bruised this time (after I'm forced to do 100 re-installations in 60 days - but that was another story). Customer service from Microsoft seemed to mark me, now refuse to activate my key.

The only recourse seems, i have to use a $1.45 bootleg copy (well, they're forcing me to do this) if they won't replace my CD. I'll just pin my CD Key sticker to my picture frame as a bitter reminder of my brush with Bill.....

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Remember if you use another CD with your key that it has to be the same version, same service pack, same build essentially. That's the trick.
Jo

G

Things I did to repair scratched CD: Scrub-clean the scratched surface with a Toothpaste: Yeah, the one used to brush the teeth. worked several times as well to my other scratched CDs. This trick I learned from a modding forum I passed-by once.

Anyway, now it wont work, my CD got really bruised this time (after I'm forced to do 100 re-installations in 60 days - but that was another story). Customer service from Microsoft seemed to mark me, now refuse to activate my key.

The only recourse seems, i have to use a $1.45 bootleg copy (well, they're forcing me to do this) if they won't replace my CD. I'll just pin my CD Key sticker to my picture frame as a bitter reminder of my brush with Bill.....

What type of CD key do you have? XP Home OEM? XP Home Retail?

Grumpy

G

Remember if you use another CD with your key that it has to be the same version, same service pack, same build essentially. That's the trick.
Jo

Not true. The CD Key only needs to match whether is Pro or Home and whether it's OEM, Retail, Upgrade or Volume. Here's more information:

Unlocking WinXP's setupp.ini
=========================
WinXP's setupp.ini controls how the CD acts. IE is it an OEM version or retail? First, find your setupp.ini file in the i386 directory on your WinXP CD. Open it up, it'll look something like this:

ExtraData=707A667567736F696F697911AE7E05
Pid=55034000

The Pid value is what we're interested in. What's there now looks like a standard default. There are special numbers that determine if it's a retail, oem, or volume license edition. First, we break down that number into two parts. The first five digits determines how the CD will behave, ie is it a retail cd that lets you clean install or upgrade, or an oem cd that only lets you perform a clean install? The last three digits determines what CD key it will accept. You are able to mix and match these values. For example you could make a WinXP cd that acted like a retail cd, yet accepted OEM keys. Now, for the actual values. Remember the first and last values are interchangable, but usually you'd keep them as a pair:

Retail = 51882 335
Volume License = 51883 270
OEM = 82503 OEM
So if you wanted a retail CD that took retail keys, the last line of your setupp.ini file would read:
Pid=51882335
And if you wanted a retail CD that took OEM keys, you'd use:
Pid=51882OEM

Grumpy

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
... (after I'm forced to do 100 re-installations in 60 days - but that was another story). ...
How could you need to do 100 reinstalls on the same PC (or even 20!)?

I think he was talking about a network. Just a thoery but registering them with MS after imaging all those drives would be major PITA. I guess thats why MS came out with the volume version but I think that you have to jump through some hoops for that ? (not sure since I have no use for a volume copy lol)

dmk82

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
When i lost my xp pro cd i called them and asked for a replacement.. they asked me for the cd set # and $35 and that was it. I got in the mail a brand new cd and also a new serial #. They never hassled me about sending a replacement.

cavornex

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Believe it or not, I did reinstall the same CD on the same PC 100x (averaging 1 reformat every 12 hours). You see, my assembled PC is 3+ years old now, with no changes on hardware made since, and problem came only 2 months ago. As not a software techie guy to tweak around programs, the only remedy I know (during crashes or BSOD, when Safe Modes and System Restore wont work) is to reformat.

Guys from Microsoft got pissed of my regular activation request (on the 20th attempt) that they wont provide me activation codes anymore. I even suspected they zeroed in on my system every time I go online, that while updating, the next sure thing happening is my PC crashes after an hour or so. Now I don't update and even disable auto updates.

What's puzzling is I dont get BSOD if I dont go online (meaning my problem is not hardware). SO, before going online, I did all necessary precautions - firewalls on, Avast Home AV running, use Firefox instead of IE to minimize net predators. Btw, my PC is stand alone.

Anyway, I resigned to my fate of reformatting until such time I can just buy a new PC. My only wish now would be to have my scratched XP Home installer replaced to tide me over.

My PC specs:

P4 2ghz, with Gigabyte Rocket cooler
Asrock P4i45GV
256 MB DDR266 RAM (generic)
Maxtor 40gig 72k PATA (2 partition, NTFS)
D-Link 56k Modem
Antec Lanboy case with 300W PSU

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006

Assuming you have have an oem version of windows (as you did get it when you got your computer). You should be able be borrow any windows home oem cd from whoever and install it off that and then use your key.

Microsoft seems to be very inconsistant with the way it handles oem licenses. I've heard of people that have done a minor upgrade and then when they try to reinstall Windows, are prompted to call Microsoft only to be told that because their version is oem, that it's tied to their original configuration and they're basically screwed. I myself have been using an oem version of XP home for a few years, that I got off a friend's trashed system and then was able to talk them (after a few calls) into activating it for my system after convincing them that it was not being used on any other system. One major rebuild later and I'm still using the same key.

My point is, keep calling Microsoft after getting (or borrowing a usable disk), until you get someone that'll help you out (don't tell them you've installed it 100 times)!

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
I just read your latest message after posting and I have to ask; why the hell didn't you make sure your install was working properly before activating windows???? You should know you have 30 days to run windows before it forces you to activate...... I'd think that after the first 10 or so screwed up installs, you might realize something was very wrong.

cavornex

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
I'd like to believe my installs are ok because all are clean install....and I'm able to use it online without hitch for the next 12 hours or 2 days at most. Then, BSOD and crashes again, so off to reformat I go again like a vicious cycle!

Btw, My XP Home is boxed (not OEM) other keys wont work, bought it separately after assembling my PC.