[SOLVED] Scratches on front and back of new motherboard. What should I do?

_liam_

Prominent
Nov 15, 2020
I just got a motherboard from Newegg, and when further inspecting, I noticed scratches on the front and back. Here are some videos of them:

I can add photos, as well, if needed. I know traces can be damaged this way, but I can't tell how bad it actually is.

There's also some white residue on the back, and the main 24-pin connector is on the other side of where the residue is. Here is a video:

Not sure if it's safe to hook everything up to test, or if I should try to RMA. Any advice is appreciated!

Solution
The scratches don't look like they're doing any damage as no exposed copper I can see. The white powder could be wiped off if you wanted.

All in all, i think it's just cosmetic and the board should work but then if purchased 'brand new' it should look it. That board looks like it's been run through a re-manufacture processs so if you wanted to return with a complaint I'd go for it.
The scratches don't look like they're doing any damage as no exposed copper I can see. The white powder could be wiped off if you wanted.

All in all, i think it's just cosmetic and the board should work but then if purchased 'brand new' it should look it. That board looks like it's been run through a re-manufacture processs so if you wanted to return with a complaint I'd go for it.

Solution

_liam_

Prominent
Nov 15, 2020

Yeah, I went ahead and asked for a replacement. If they test it, and it works, would they just send the same one right back to me?

Was the box properly sealed when you got it?

So far as I know, Newegg is a retailer and does no testing.
If the reason you stated for return was cosmetic, or claimed it was not new, they may just return the box to inventory as a returned item and lower the price a bit.

If you claimed it was defective, they likely would send it back to where they bought it.

_liam_

Prominent
Nov 15, 2020
Was the box properly sealed when you got it?

So far as I know, Newegg is a retailer and does no testing.
If the reason you stated for return was cosmetic, or claimed it was not new, they may just return the box to inventory as a returned item and lower the price a bit.

If you claimed it was defective, they likely would send it back to where they bought it.
The box had a little dent, but was sealed. I just told them about the residue, as well as the scratches going over trace lines, and how I'm worried it could cause issues. They processed the return and sent a shipping label, but also asked that I send them photos, which I did.