Scratchy controls and brake cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

While washing the car, I turned on the radio. The volume control was
scratchy so, rather than tracking water into the house to get my good
stuff, I picked up a can of brake cleaner (tetrachloroethylene sp?) and
shot it a couple of blasts. Worked fine.

Any long term ill effects from this?

Jim

"Carey Carlan" <gulfjoe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> While washing the car, I turned on the radio. The volume control was
> scratchy so, rather than tracking water into the house to get my good
> stuff, I picked up a can of brake cleaner (tetrachloroethylene sp?) and
> shot it a couple of blasts. Worked fine.

Brake Cleaner is essentially paint thinner, its trick (what makes it great
for cleaning brakes) is the high pressure you get from the Can. So, i
would say you did nothing more than remove the lube from the pot.. You wont
find a can of brake cleaner near my gear, but when i'm doing brakes, sure,
Great stuff.

> Any long term ill effects from this?

You may find you're self replacing that stereo or the pot, in time due to a
lack of lubrication. I guess with lower quality components, probably not
that much of a loss or overall damage, Especially a cheap car audio pot. But
I certainly wouldnt spray it into my A&H.

--
Jim
[It's called an "Equalizer" not a "Compensator".]

"Carey Carlan" <gulfjoe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> While washing the car, I turned on the radio. The volume control was
> scratchy so, rather than tracking water into the house to get my good
> stuff, I picked up a can of brake cleaner (tetrachloroethylene sp?) and
> shot it a couple of blasts. Worked fine.
>
> Any long term ill effects from this?

a better choice would have been a silicon based tech spray which cleans,
deoxidizes and lubricates. i prefer Caig Deoxit but most other brands will
do in a pinch.

i hear that brake cleaner spray makes a great wasp killer.

It's not plastic friendly.... any plastic that got overspray may fail.

Rgds:
Eric

In article <Xns95E1DCFAE6BAAgulfjoehotmailcom@207.69.189.191> gulfjoe@hotmail.com writes:

> While washing the car, I turned on the radio. The volume control was
> scratchy so, rather than tracking water into the house to get my good
> stuff, I picked up a can of brake cleaner (tetrachloroethylene sp?) and
> shot it a couple of blasts. Worked fine.

You must have a pretty old car. The last three cars I've owned (over
more than 25 years) have had digital volume controls. They even have
latency so I know they're real.

I have used 80% isopropyl + 20% WD40 mix with much success.... cleans,
evaporates and lubes... try it on some 'kill or cure' pots

Guy

In article <35442hF4gb79rU1@individual.net> Bigguy@nowhere.com writes:

> I have used 80% isopropyl + 20% WD40 mix with much success....

Ah, finally we get around to the WD40. How do you mix them and then
spray the mix? Or do you load the mixture into a syringe and squirt it
in to the pot?

And is that 80% of 95%, 90%, or 70% isopropyl alcohol?

In article <Xns95E1DCFAE6BAAgulfjoehotmailcom@207.69.189.191>,
Carey Carlan <gulfjoe@hotmail.com> wrote:
>While washing the car, I turned on the radio. The volume control was
>scratchy so, rather than tracking water into the house to get my good
>stuff, I picked up a can of brake cleaner (tetrachloroethylene sp?) and
>shot it a couple of blasts. Worked fine.
>
>Any long term ill effects from this?

Brake cleaner is mostly MEK. It will melt plastic pots completely.
It might be okay for carbon pots but I wouldn't bet on it.
--scott

mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers) wrote in news:znr1106048612k@trad:

> You must have a pretty old car. The last three cars I've owned (over
> more than 25 years) have had digital volume controls. They even have
> latency so I know they're real.

Yup, an '86 and not a great radio then. Still working OK today, so I hope
nothing important got melted.

Actually, I kinda hope it does. Give me an excuse to replace it.

Syringe.. give it a good shake then squirt...

99% IPA

I would not use it for anything rare or valuable but it does work as a 'kill
or cure' way of cleaning crackly pots.

Guy