Question Screen and Audio Tearing/Glitches in Game Before Game Crashes ?

Sadiew1990

Distinguished
May 7, 2015
Hello all! Hoping someone here can help me figure out this issue, I've never had it before.

I just got my computer repaired about a week or two ago, and they had to order a new version of my graphics card (older card now though, AMD R9 390) and everything has been working great. Today though, I had two games I tried to play (Slime Rancher 2 and Friday the 13th the Game) where it started to freak out and ultimately crash.

The games will load up ok usually, but at some point (on Friday the 13th the Game it started once the match loaded in) the screen will start having weird tears and bars and "misplaced" pixels all over the place, while the audio starts buzzing and screeching (not super loud though). The game then crashes.

I have tried to have task manager open to see if the performance of anything is a problem, but I haven't been able to catch anything. My CPUs aren't overheating either.

I'm worried that there is something wrong with my new card. I've already tried updating the driver and letting it do a factory clean install, but I'm still facing this issue.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Or any programs or such I can use to test for issues?

Edit: This doesn't happen with all games. I have been able to play Civ 6, Red Dead Redemption 2, and League of Legends just fine, so I don't know what's different about the other games.

Last edited:

Sadiew1990

Distinguished
May 7, 2015
What was repaired on your pc? If this is steam platform games did you try verifying the game files in steam library?

My video card was really messed up, to where if I had it enabled I would get a black screen if I tried to log in. So they replaced my GPU with a new (possibly/probably refurbished) one.

One of them is a steam game, one isn't. I verified the files of the steam game and it failed to find one file and updated it.

Weirdly enough, the non-steam game has been acting ok now. I'm just worried though that there is something seriously wrong with my graphics card I need to figure out, since it was acting up so severely.

Either way, ty for your reponse!

I know you have reinstalled your drivers. Try using ddu uninstaller, see below in my help box for driver, it completely removes any old drivers and gives you a clean slate to load the drivers on to. Then reinstall your gpu driver. I would also check to see if you need any other hardware updates, like audio, network, bios etc. Check your windows also for any updates.