Screen Artifacts and Crashing PC when playing games.

Agent Ardalan

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2013
https://imgur.com/a/Jgks2TJ
I made a thread about this before but it got lost. We had to send the VGA back but after extensive testing they said there is nothing wrong with it. Yet when we run the system without the vga and even play games we never have issues like this.
The entire pc eventually crashes when the artifacts show up. We removed the drivers with ddu and even installed older drivers to no avail.
Updated bios and chipset driver.
We even swapped out the pci slot.
What could the issue be? This is a newly built system we're talking about. You can play on it for a while but not for long before the artifacts show up and crash the system eventually.
We've had error codes 43 in device manger and 14 in dxdiag which was a driver error.

Here is the old thread for more information (probably irrelevant):
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3872513/distorted-screen-crash-error-codes.html

Specs:
Core i5-9600k
Rtx 2070
Asus prime z370-a
Vengeance lpx 16gb 3200mghz
PSU:EVGA 650 GQ

Feb 1, 2019
Do some research into the new RTX cards because this has been an issue with a lot of them. I had to RMA mine after a week, but the new one has been phenomenal (i guess i hit the silicone lottery for once).

Agent Ardalan

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2013

This is what we did, we returned the card and they had it tested but they didn't find a single issue so they refused to replace it.
At this point we're not even sure if the issue is with the card.

We read in some other thread that it could be a power issue.

Agent Ardalan

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2013

No I haven't tried that.

It's a Zotac geforce rtx 2070 blower. Can you tell me more about the downclocking thing? I'm not sure if the card is overclocked by default or not. You meant to say we should downclock it back to what the chip normally is?

Feb 1, 2019
No, I mean to downclock the gpu's memory and clock speeds with the slider all the way to the left. Then to apply and test the card to see if there is a change. If so I would recommend taking a screenshot or video of the process and the "fix" to send to the zotac support team.

Agent Ardalan

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2013

We'll try that.

But what would that exactly indicate if there was a fix? Should I just leave to zotac support to take it from there?

Feb 1, 2019
That you would need to do research to figure out, as I am not completely sure. But there are many other people with the same and similar issues as you. But if you do have proof that there is something wrong with the card sold to you, zotac would be forced to take a better look at it, or best case* replace it on the spot.

Agent Ardalan

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2013

I got the card from a retailer called Mike's computer shop. They were the ones that tested it and said there is nothing wrong. Do you figure I should relay the information to them instead? Or will Zotac themselves just replace the card for me?
Thanks

Feb 1, 2019
Yea, regardless of the retailer Zotac is the manufacturer of the card and holds the responsibility of replacing a product that was sent out under performing or malfunctioning.

Agent Ardalan

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2013

Looks like windows has disabled the graphics card so afterburner doesn't detect anything.

I'm not even sure what's causing the issue.

TRENDING THREADS