screen becomes darker and darker

richard esposo

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
screen becomes darker and darker, i think its my graphics card . not the monitor , because when i try another graphics card it works..can someone help me in detecting what is the problem with my other graphics card.....

Solution

that sounds like a dying monitor to me, try another monitor or a TV, something that...

non-smoker pete

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
You've got some of the information you need, but now it would help if you could take this to the next level. You tested a second graphic card in the system, now test the graphics card itself. Install it in another system and test it; if the problem appears again, you know the graphics card is failing. If the questionable graphics card works without a problem, you've got some more detective work ahead of you.

Good luck, please let us know what you learn.

richard esposo

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014

i could not test it in other system because i has only one desktop...yesterday it works normally , but little while ago when i watching the light in the monitor becomes lesser and darker...

lewisaro1

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012

have you tried another screen aswell with the GPU that may be causing the problem?

lewisaro1

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012

that sounds like a dying monitor to me, try another monitor or a TV, something that can output the video and see the results

Solution

richard esposo

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014

but I can use it with different graphics card so I think it is not a monitor problem.

non-smoker pete

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Old CRT (tube-type) monitors can fail the way you describe, they gradually become darker over a long period of time. Modern flat-panel monitors tend to fail suddenly, but I have seen a few of them with flaky inverters or weak backlights fail gradually. Until you can test the graphics card in another system, you won't know for sure if it is failing. As lewisaro1 suggested, try using a different monitor for a few days to see if the problem goes away. If it does, it will indicate that your original monitor is dying. If the problem remains with a new monitor, your graphics card is failing.

Best of luck, please let us know what you learn.

non-smoker pete

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Keep in mind that this is something that should be tested over a long period of time, at least a few hours. Since the problem is intermittent, the hardware might APPEAR to be good with a quick test, but a longer test should cause the failure to occur again.

Test whatever you can and let us know the results.

richard esposo

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014

thank you for suggesting..i will try it with other system or with other screen/monitor...when i have an information.. after trying it..i will share the result..hope you help me again..thanks

non-smoker pete

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Well, thank you for the vote of confidence in my suggestions, but lewisaro1 also contributed helpful information to this thread, and anyone who takes the time to reply is worthy of appreciation. I can't take any real credit here, forums of this type are ALWAYS a group effort, the collective mind of the group makes the system work.

Best wishes to both of you, hope to see each of you in these forums.

richard esposo

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014

what if the graphics card is failing does it has a solution to fix it?

non-smoker pete

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
To be blunt, NO, there is almost NO chance that your videocard could be repaired. I worked as an electronics technician for more than 30 years (I'm retired now), and even with all that experience, without specialized equipment and a swimming pool full of money, I couldn't hope to repair a modern videocard. The circuit boards have multiple layers, like a wedding cake, and repairing sub-surface damage (as an example) is impossible. There was a time when such repairs WERE fairly simple for a skilled technician, but the switch to BGA (Ball-Grid Array) mounted chips put an end to garage workbench repairs.

Sorry to say, if your card is dying / defective / dead, you can keep it as a souvenir or send it to an e-waste recycling facility. I have a few cards and old hard drives that I keep and use as paperweights, but I recycle everything else to keep it out of the landfill. The labor costs for repairing most modern videocards would far exceed the cost of a new card.

As an analogy, think about this: you can buy a new car (in the US) from a dealer for less than twenty thousand dollars, but if you bought each part individually and could somehow build the car yourself (assembling the engine, welding the body, painting it), it would probably cost you more than $100,000, with NO warranty and NO technical support if something went wrong. Many modern computer components are solid-state devices, simply etched silicon (or some other material) that has to be developed in a sterile environment, not something you could put together in your backyard.

Not trying to discourage you, but although I can repair most monitor problems or damage, I simply don't imagine you could afford the specialized equipment for repairing videocards, unless you have a swimming pool overflowing with cash.

Stay in touch...

richard esposo

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014

thank you for letting me know about it...but about the graphics card Im not really sure it is failing..I will try it with other monitor first as what both of you said...i will try it as soon as possible...thanks again for replying..

richard esposo

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014

i think i found my problem, but im not really sure..i think its my power supply which it cannot handle the graphics card...the max watts of my power supply is 300 watts while my graphics card minimum watts is 350 watts..so i think that is the problem..can i still use my graphics card after i used it in lower watts of my power supply? does the graphics card damage? by the way i found power supply with maximum of 600 watts which i can use to replace my old one.

richard esposo

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014

i think i found my problem, but im not really sure..i think its my power supply which it cannot handle the graphics card...the max watts of my power supply is 300 watts while my graphics card minimum watts is 350 watts..so i think that is the problem..can i still use my graphics card after i used it in lower watts of my power supply? does the graphics card damage? by the way i found power supply with maximum of 600 watts which i can use to replace my old one.

non-smoker pete

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
Good work! Glad you found out about the power supply BEFORE you bought new hardware you probably don't need. MORE good news; you probably didn't damage the new graphics card by running it with the old 300 watt power supply. We can't be SURE of that until you install a more powerful power supply, but in my experience, there shouldn't be any permanent damage.

Keep punching, you're going to beat this problem soon!