Question Screen crashes when GPU hit 81c

Dec 3, 2019
Sorry for bad English, it's not my major.
My GPU is Shappire Nitro RX470 8gb.

So I had problem, whenever my GPU hit 81c under full load, my screen suddenly goes blank and there's notification sound of something been removed from my pc then the screen back again with changed resolution.
When i test with furmark, it goes same and the graph show drop on temp but then back again to 80c, and it goes and on and on. It can only going for only 5 minute before reach 80-83c then the craziness are strating. But, when i set my fan to 100% the temp going only around 71-76c, and it's fine.

Recently i change my VGA thermal Paste with hy-a9 and thermal pad also. But because of the thermal pad thickness are not enough, i stack it. And, also i change one fan because the old one was dead.
But the test show that fan doing fine with 2500-3000 RPM.

Is my GPU faulty? Or should i change my thermal pad, the price of GPU in my country are too expensive so change is not an option.
UPDATE:
Now the temp only 77 to make its crazy

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Stacking thermal pads aren't a good idea. You should make sure you're using the right thickness for your thermal pads before you replace them. To add, I think the temps on your memory and VRM are what's causing you to see the issues. You're seeing temps using what temp monitoring app/program?

Reactions: Rissing_hopper
Dec 3, 2019
Stacking thermal pads aren't a good idea. You should make sure you're using the right thickness for your thermal pads before you replace them. To add, I think the temps on your memory and VRM are what's causing you to see the issues. You're seeing temps using what temp monitoring app/program?

Okay, i'll try to remove the stack one. I use shappire trixxx to check the tempt, it's always around 78-81 to the things happen. Idle temp around 40-50c. Any recommendation?

This some example vid

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O7YLQiq10LyfwoGdbQ5yQrZrV645TID7/view?usp=drivesdk

Nov 28, 2019
Well I’d definitely make sure the cooper part of the cooler is making contact with the GPU core. Definitely make sure you have a fan curve to your liking. And also make sure ypu have enough thermal paste on your GPU. Thermal pads needs to be the exact size that the manufacturer use, or close.

Dec 3, 2019
Well I’d definitely make sure the cooper part of the cooler is making contact with the GPU core. Definitely make sure you have a fan curve to your liking. And also make sure ypu have enough thermal paste on your GPU. Thermal pads needs to be the exact size that the manufacturer use, or close.
it's in contact, and it's enough thermal paste.

Nov 28, 2019
Do you have a fan curve on? Make sure you have a fan curve. If your temps are still too high then you will have to open it back up again, try replacing thermal pads and I’d recommended to use Kryonaut thermal paste for the core and hbm if you have one. These are high quality thermal compounds and do achieve great results.

Reactions: Rissing_hopper
Dec 3, 2019
Do you have a fan curve on? Make sure you have a fan curve. If your temps are still too high then you will have to open it back up again, try replacing thermal pads and I’d recommended to use Kryonaut thermal paste for the core and hbm if you have one. These are high quality thermal compounds and do achieve great results.
I want to buy kyronaut, but my money are limited so i buy hy one. But, it's enough i think. I set my fan curve now and everything all right. But when i go to auto it will surely crash

Dec 3, 2019
can u try the graphics card in another system?
Guys i need help, the problem still happening eventhough i change my thermal pad. I switch for 1mm and the problem still happening. It will bliping my screen everytime the temp are down

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vq2_ktiCvB0uZZzGwiy1LCsvcrDs6_Uw/view?usp=drivesdk

I really frustated, cuz buying thermal paste and pad are pricey in my country.
Eventhoug making a fan curve did really help, but in auto the problem start to happen
try another port of ur graphics card...

TRENDING THREADS