Screen disconnects when playing games

memorykart

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
Sometimes when Im playing the screen suddenly turns off like it was disconnected from my pc, this usually happens when there is a sudden effect (explosions or screen flashes), I can hear the games normally after this happens so i know the game is working but if I try to use my keyboard to open the pause menu for example nothing happens and the game sounds continue to go on and i can hear myself getting attacked in game. I tried plugging into the motherboard's integrated gpu but nothing happened. Nothing happens if I wait though after 20 seconds or so i hear the windows popup error sound.

Im using windows 7 ultimate and my specs are:-
GPU: Nvidia gtx 950
CPU: Intel Pentium g620 2.6GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2P
500 watt power supply
1 Terra HDD
Im also using a dvi to vga converter to connect my screen to the gpu.

Solution
That sounds like a video driver crash (windows popup error sound after ~20 sec). Unfortunately those can be hard to diagnose.

• ■It could be as simple as uninstalling and reinstalling your video drivers (use DDU).
    https://www.wagnardsoft.com/
    ■There could be a poor connection between your GPU and motherboard. Try removing the GPU, blowing any dust out of the PCIe connector, and reinserting the card.
    ■It could be your GPU is overheating - use a temp monitoring app to check GPU temps.
    ■It could indicate a hardware fault in your GPU. Nothing you can do here except exchange it under warranty. Or if the warranty is expired and you used a credit card to buy it, use the credit card's extended warranty.

Pause probably isn't working...
That sounds like a video driver crash (windows popup error sound after ~20 sec). Unfortunately those can be hard to diagnose.

• ■It could be as simple as uninstalling and reinstalling your video drivers (use DDU).
    https://www.wagnardsoft.com/
    ■There could be a poor connection between your GPU and motherboard. Try removing the GPU, blowing any dust out of the PCIe connector, and reinserting the card.
    ■It could be your GPU is overheating - use a temp monitoring app to check GPU temps.
    ■It could indicate a hardware fault in your GPU. Nothing you can do here except exchange it under warranty. Or if the warranty is expired and you used a credit card to buy it, use the credit card's extended warranty.

Pause probably isn't working because when the crash occurs Windows minimizes the game and switches to the desktop so you can see the error message. Your pause command is then sent to the desktop instead of to the game. (You just can't see any of this happening because the video driver crashed.)

Im also using a dvi to vga converter to connect my screen to the gpu.
That's another possible culprit. The converter could be flaky and occasionally generating a VGA signal whose sync frequency is beyond what the monitor can accept, causing the image to drop out. But this should not result in a Windows popup error sound. See if you can borrow a DVI/HDMI monitor for an evening to see if the same problem occurs without the DVI-to-VGA converter.

Solution

memorykart

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016

It was the PCIe connector, my case didnt fit the GPU quite well so I had to cut out a piece of my case so the the gpu was pushed down correctly.
Thanks for your help!

TRENDING THREADS