[SOLVED] Screen flashing on start up after latest BIOs update - Should I just leave it as it is?

Sep 10, 2018
I have got a B450 Pro4 AsRock and Ryzen 2600.

Today I decided to update BIOs since it was very outdated (first ever released version) and was potentially causing me some issues with RAM.

Anyhow, I did it in stages (as recommended), first two were fine. However the latest and last one is causing some screen flickering from the looks of it. It shows the AsRock logo, gets to the BIOs, however between BIOs and OS the screen flickers always 5 times exactly before it gets there. I have tried restarting PC many times and it's always the same, 5 quick flashes. It also flashes if I try to access UEFI (again, 5 times), but successfully gets there with no issues.

Here is a video: https://streamable.com/5l604d (For the record, fast startup is off, I prefer it like that so I can access BIOs easier, that's irrelevant however).

Should I be worried? Other than that PC looks fine, no issues at all - everything normal.

I could potentially do a rollback, however I am not sure if it's worth the risk.

Solution
UPDATE: I managed to fix this by converting from Legacy to UEFI (MBR2GPT), literally two commands and boom! Disabled CSM and made it UEFI only and now it's all good. Glad it wasn't something more serious lol. Thanks a lot for your help everyone!
If there are no other issues...I would leave it be.

I've updated BIOSes and have had similar things happen....that don't bother me to this day.

For instance....I updated an ASUS BIOS and now I have a flashing cursor for a couple seconds during boot that I didn't have before.

It's been fine for almost 3 years.

Sep 10, 2018
If there are no other issues...I would leave it be.

I've updated BIOSes and have had similar things happen....that don't bother me to this day.

For instance....I updated an ASUS BIOS and now I have a flashing cursor for a couple seconds during boot that I didn't have before.

It's been fine for almost 3 years.

Yeah it doesn't bother me as per, I will never notice it for example and it will never affect me (considering no other issues arise), however it's the feeling of something being broken, even to the slightest, because whether I like it or not, something very minor is off.

If you were me, would you 'cope with it' and let it be, or attempt a rollback to a previous version?

Yeah it doesn't bother me as per, I will never notice it for example and it will never affect me (considering no other issues arise), however it's the feeling of something being broken, even to the slightest, because whether I like it or not, something very minor is off.

If you were me, would you 'cope with it' and let it be, or attempt a rollback to a previous version?
Think of it like....it may not be "broken".
It may be "how it is".

"If you were me, would you 'cope with it' and let it be, or attempt a rollback to a previous version?"

I would ignore it.

I wouldn't roll back....because you might create a real problem where now....I don't see this as a real problem.

That example I used with ASUS...that's not the only one....I've had other things like this happen as well...and I think "if it ain't broke....don't fix it".

Sep 10, 2018
Think of it like....it may not be "broken".
It may be "how it is".

"If you were me, would you 'cope with it' and let it be, or attempt a rollback to a previous version?"

I would ignore it.

I wouldn't roll back....because you might create a real problem where now....I don't see this as a real problem.

That example I used with ASUS...that's not the only one....I've had other things like this happen as well...and I think "if it ain't broke....don't fix it".

I guess I will do that. Will pretend it doesn't exist unless more problems arise. Then I will go for a rollback. Thanks for the response!

EDIT: Actually hold on. Did they just say flashing boot menu is the new trend with PCs?! I am happy I am up to date!

Last edited:
I guess I will do that. Will pretend it doesn't exist unless more problems arise. Then I will go for a rollback. Thanks for the response!
You're welcome.
I would find it strange if you had any other issues.
I've had similar things like this happen numerous times and I don't recall it ever being a problem.
I'm still running the ASUS machine. It's from 2009. I upgraded the CPU in 2018. (now I have a flashing cursor for three years and that's it).

Sep 10, 2018
You're welcome.
I would find it strange if you had any other issues.
I've had similar things like this happen numerous times and I don't recall it ever being a problem.
I'm still running the ASUS machine. It's from 2009. I upgraded the CPU in 2018. (now I have a flashing cursor for three years and that's it).

For the record, I also contacted AsRock and that's what they told me:

z96JGJ9.png

Sep 10, 2018
UPDATE: I managed to fix this by converting from Legacy to UEFI (MBR2GPT), literally two commands and boom! Disabled CSM and made it UEFI only and now it's all good. Glad it wasn't something more serious lol. Thanks a lot for your help everyone!

Solution