Screen Flicker after Enabling XMP

zxcvgvgv

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2014
Hello,

I am currently using a TV for a monitor. I want to enable XMP on my motherboard (specs listed below), but whenever I do, my screen starts to flicker as if it was turning on and off very quickly. They are uneven, lasting for seemingly random intervals. At one point, I had to restart my computer to get the screen back on. When XMP is disabled, the screen does not do these things. I don't currently have a backup monitor/TV to try a new screen. When I enable XMP, are there other settings that change which might cause this? Is this indicative of bad parts? Since I haven't bought a GPU yet and am using integrated graphics through the motherboard's HDMI, could that be affecting this somehow? Thank you for your help! My parts:

Intel Core i5 6600K
MSI Z170A Gaming M5 motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 (2x8GB)
GPU not purchased yet
EVGA P2 650w PSU

Solution
After enabling XMP, check in the BIOS to make sure the correct settings got picked by the BIOS.

Since everything works when using conventional SPD configuration, the BIOS might simply be picking the wrong XMP profile. Check if your motherboard has a BIOS update that might fix that and try again.

InvalidError

Titan
After enabling XMP, check in the BIOS to make sure the correct settings got picked by the BIOS.

Since everything works when using conventional SPD configuration, the BIOS might simply be picking the wrong XMP profile. Check if your motherboard has a BIOS update that might fix that and try again.

Solution

ziming

Commendable
Mar 24, 2016

What did you do to fix this? I am having the same exact problem with the screen flickering and I'm also using the integrated graphics through the motherboard's HDMI. I tried to configure the XMP profile and nothing has changed. My parts:

Intel Core i7 6700k
MSI Z170A SLI PLUS
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
GPU not purchased yet
EVGA P2 650w PSU

cflush

Commendable
May 15, 2016
This must be a MSI z170 issue because I have the exact same problem with enabling xmp on my MSI Z170a pro carbon board.

Off topic but any MSI Z170A mobo owners have a problem with HDD light staying fully illuminated on their board? I am using BIOS version 1.2 and have a hyperx Kingston predator M.2 drive as boot.

TRENDING THREADS