HakaseLA

Prominent
Apr 2, 2023
My PC:

PSU: GameMax GP-500 (ouch)
GPU: Aisurix RX 580 2048sp

My cousin's PC:
PSU: ??? 650watt

I had an older GPU, was flickering too much, so I made an inhuman effort just to get another GPU on my terrible third world country. No, it's not my fault to not have more money, but I do need a minimum of hardware level if I want to work in this indie game...

ANYWAYS, I'm getting screen flickering, but I doubt it's the GPU itself: I recently tested it on my cousin's pc, and it works like a charm. Back on my PC I tried streaming/TeamViewer/Parsec while running furmark, and it works like a charm on the remote screen; no artifacts, no frame drops, no anomalies. With and without OC. Is the GPU fine? I could be wrong, of course, but even memtestCL shows a correct result (save for random blocks test, but it always fails if I'm not mistaken). The PC itself doesn't currently crash for hardware fault.

What could be causing this screen flickering, if not the GPU? Could the PSU be so bad it causes it? It's 500watt, the minimum required for the GPU to work. And, my screen is old (but it works), so I got to use an HDMI to VGA adapter for it (brand new); could the adapter be at fault? We done straight HDMI on my cousin's pc, with a 650watt PSU. I might ask him to exchange PSU if necessary, he has no dedicated GPU.

Drivers were up to date on both computers.

Last edited:

HakaseLA

Prominent
Apr 2, 2023
Thanks for the tool! I didn't know of it. Just ran the power test for like 15 minutes... and there's no difference at all. Forgot to mention, it doesn't flicker all the time (when it does the PC is pretty much unusable), but I haven't found a "pattern" to it yet; in this ocassion, there was no flickering at all. So, unless the PSU is unstable to environmental factors, my bet goes for the HDMI to VGA adapter. I'll leave the test running for 1 hour now, and see what happens.

Thank you! I will post an update when due (unless I forget)
UPDATE: it was the faulty HDMI to VGA adapter. Phew.

Last edited: