Question Screen flickering when connecting 2nd monitor

Aug 18, 2020
I ordered a new monitor and I'm trying to use the old monitor as a secondary (dual monitor)
Both are connected using DP however as soon as i connect either one of them both starts to flicker

It's like only the background and the taskbar that flickers while there is a loading pointer icon
at the same time the pc stutters and I'm unable to open programs and such

I tried to do a clean reinstall on my GPU drivers and it works while installing the drivers since the secondary monitors loses connection
But after the install the second monitor lights up and the flickering starts again

I tried disabling G-Sync on the primary monitor and no luck there (2nd monitor doesn't have G-Sync)

Not sure if it's a problem the way it's connected 1 DP Cable from each monitor to the graphics card (I have 3 DP slots on the graphics card)
I tried replugging and reconnecting to different slots with no luck.

Please help :(

Aug 18, 2020
It could be a defective DP cable itself or port. Try switching the cables around and the port as well.
I did that, I ordered an extra cable without knowing there would be 1 included with the new monitor. Tried them both.

I noticedhowever that as long as both are plugged in at the same time the problem will occur. Both screen work fine on their own if i only have 1 connected to either port with any cable.

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
I did that, I ordered an extra cable without knowing there would be 1 included with the new monitor. Tried them both.

I noticedhowever that as long as both are plugged in at the same time the problem will occur. Both screen work fine on their own if i only have 1 connected to either port with any cable.
Quick question. What's your GPU?

Does your CPU have an integrated GPU? If so, try plugging one into the motherboard and one into the GPU so the GPU won't have to carry(render) all that weight.

Aug 18, 2020
Quick question. What's your GPU?

Does your CPU have an integrated GPU? If so, try plugging one into the motherboard and one into the GPU so the GPU won't have to carry(render) all that weight.
It's an RTX 2080 I would assume it would be compatible with 2 monitors since there are 3 DP slots to it including 1 HDMI

Edit: I tried connecting 1 to the motherboard but it doesn't find any signal, after that I simply tried restarting my PC and the same problem occurs as earlier. Both screens keeps flashing and windows wont load any start-up programs until i unplug 1 of the monitors

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020
Can you try setting everything at 60Hz? Both in Nvidia Control Panel and the monitors itself. Or reset the displays from the monitor settings.
I tried both before I posted and also again just now, still no solution :(
Also weird thing It's like whenever the monitors are blinking I can't start anything or even press Start on the taskbar...It's like the PC is having hiccups. Whenever I restart the PC with both monitors plugged in no programs starts up unless I unplug it.

As soon as I unplug 1 of the monitors all the start-up programs boots up
And weird thing both monitors work just fine when connected individually 1 at the time

Last edited: