Screen flickering when using TV which is also a third monitor.

Adama89

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
I have a rather weird, specific problem and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to fix it.

I use three monitors on my PC, two of them are connected to my main GPU, a HD7800 Joker Card. One screen is connected via HDMI, the other via DVI. The third monitor, an LG flatscreen TV, is connected via HDMI to my motherboards on-board GPU (Intel HD Graphics 4600).

Whenever I'm using my pc with three displays it's working fine. However, when I want to watch TV and change the input of my TV to the HDMI port my SetTopBox is on my two other displays freak out. They start flickering and it looks as if Windows is constantly changing the desktop settings, as open windows move from one monitor to the other.
When my TV is off and I turn it on to use it as a third display, the other two displays also flicker once. I reckon the problem is somewhere in the HDMI signal the Intel card receives when the TV is not active set to the HDMI port which is connected to the PC.

Now I'm wondering if there is a solution to this problem besides unplugging the cable every time I want to watch TV and my PC is on. I'm also wondering if it's harmful for the PC if I just turn my other displays off when I'm watching TV because Windows is probably still constantly changing the desktop configuration.

(I'm going on a holiday tomorrow afternoon, so I won't be able to test stuff but suggestions are welcome and I'll respond when I get back.)

Adama89

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
Well, for regular PC usage it works fine (all three displays at the same time) but as soon as I use my TV on a different HDMI port than the one that is connected to the PC the issues start on the PC. I think the TV someone keeps the HDMI interface it's not using active which is 'confusing' the PC.

megagabobe1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

I had a screen flickering issue some days ago and re installing the graphics drives solved the problem, another thing, is it possible that you can connect all the monitors to the Graphics card?? no one connects a monitor to the integrated gpu and others to the gpu, even if it seems to work right

Oct 24, 2020
I know this is a very old post, but I see that this was never resolved and I have a very similar issue.
I have the same issue as original poster with 2 different ways things are set up. 1st, my nvidia graphics card supports 3, monitors, so I'm only using one graphics card. I have 3 monitors set up. One vga, 2nd dvi, 3rd hdmi (this is also my TV). From the graphics card this is plugged into my Yamaha receiver and then to my TV.

The issue is the same as the original poster, when I turn off tv or turn it to something besides pc input my other two monitors flicker and it looks like widows does not recognize them for a second and then it does. Everything works fine as long as the TV is powered on and the receiver is set to the correct hdmi input. The only way I have found to fix the issue is to unplug the hdmi cable from the video card. I have tried updating the video card driver with no success.
Any help on this would be great!