Question Screen Flickering, Which Gets Worse With High GPU Usage

Aug 16, 2020
Hi, so I recently bought a used PC to replace my old main one.
The PC was acquired from my friend, who wouldn't ever sell anything even slightly broken.
It is also important to mention that I use a HDMI to VGA adapter because my monitor only supports VGA. (Philips 192EL)

So here is problem from start to finish:
The colors were too dark from the start, after I reinstalled Windows. Even after installing the NVIDIA Drivers, I had to manually set it in the display calibration.
There is also flickering present which is the most observable on darker gray / blue colors. The higher the GPU usage, the worse the flickering gets. There is no performance impact whatsoever and games run just as well as they are supposed to run on a 1070.

Here is a video where it is quite visible. The vertical lines are not part of the visible effect, it's just the camera, and the effect cannot be seen in normal videos captured with Shadowplay and such.

I am quite sure the GPU sits tight, it is even screwed in. I think the adapter might be responsible for this, but I really do need to know whether the case I'll the throwing money into is a lost one or not. I don't have another monitor, nor do I have a HDMI / DVI input for my current one.

I have already tried tightening and reseating the cables and their screws, and using DDU in safe mode.

My problem is essentially the same one as mentioned in this thread.
However in that thread the author never confirmed the solution, only told the answerer that the same thing happened with a HDMI monitor and cable. Which makes me really anxious. I can afford a new monitor or an adapter but I cannot imagine why a 1070 wouldn't provide enough power to a simple passive adapter. What should I do?

If you need any extra info please tell me in the answers and I will provide them to you.

Any help is appreciated.

SPECS:
Motherboard
: ASUS H81M-K
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-4690 3.50 Ghz 4C 4T
RAM: HyperX FURY Black 16GB DDR3, 1600MHz, kit 2x8GB
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 ROG STRIX GAMING O8G 8GB GDDR5 256-bit (RGB)
HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB SATA-III 7200 RPM 64MB
SSD: SanDisk SSD PLUS 240 GB
PSU: Thermaltake Smart 700W
HDMI Male to VGA Female Adapter: Akyga AK-AD-42

TRENDING THREADS