Question Screen flickers after upgrading to Windows 10

flyavix

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018
I was upgrading a computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10 when the screen startet flickering. I searched for the problem I was having and found multiple websites giving the same instructions on how solve it. By following these instructions I found out that the problem is likely caused by a display driver, so I uninstalled and reinstalled it (NVIDIA GeForce GT630), however this did not fix my issue. I then tried installing Geforce Experience to get the latest driver (and to be absolutely sure I wasn't installing the wrong one) and this made it flicker a little less, but not nearly enough to make it simple to use. When the display driver was uninstalled the computer worked fine so I'm pretty confident it's the source of the problem.

I had a similar issue with it once back in 2013 (as you can tell, the computer is quite old but it has been running well its entire life). That time i tried updating the graphics driver to be able to play a new game that was coming out, but the screen started flickering. I returned it to the store and they told me I had installed the wrong driver (which really confused me since I read closely which GPU I had and then found the latest driver for it). They did a factory reset and I gave up on trying to update the drivers ever again.

The computer is an Acer Aspire X3995:
CPU: Intel Core i5 3450
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT630 2GB
RAM: 6GB DDR3
Storage: 1TB HDD

Last edited:

flyavix

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018
One obvious issue is your power OEM supply is only 220W and your Graphics card minimum power supply is 300w. Unless you upgrade you power supply, you will need to drastically downgrade your graphics card or just use the onboard graphics.

That's how it was bought though, wouldn't it be wierd to sell computers where the powersupply is too weak for all the components? I haven't noticed any problems with this atleast