Question Screen flickers but not when playing games ?

Dec 15, 2020
I've had this problem for a while. I already tried switching to a new ram
It also doesn't flicker when I extend the display to another monitor
Couldn't be the GPU cause my gaming is smooth no flickering.
When I switch to 144hz the flickering goes away
all drivers updated to latest official version.

MOBO: B450M MORTAR MAX
CPU: R5 3600X
RAM: corsair vengeance rgb pro 3200cl16
GPU: MSI RX 580 4GB GDDR5
PSU: SEASONIC FOCUS 650FX GOLD 650W 80+

Last edited:
I've had this problem for a while. I already tried switching to a new ram
It also doesn't flicker when I extend the display to another monitor
Couldn't be the GPU cause my gaming is smooth no flickering.
When I switch to 144hz the flickering goes away
all drivers updated to latest official version.

MOBO: B450M MORTAR MAX
CPU: R5 3600X
RAM: corsair vengeance rgb pro 3200cl16
GPU: MSI RX 580 4GB GDDR5
PSU: SEASONIC FOCUS 650FX GOLD 650W 80+
The faster your screen refreshes the less it will flicker. What monitor are yiu using? Some monitors have settings that sacrifice the "flicker free" for something else like blur reduction. My Acer VG240YP flickers with VRB on (reduced response time mode). It does not flicker with VRB off

Dec 15, 2020
The faster your screen refreshes the less it will flicker. What monitor are yiu using? Some monitors have settings that sacrifice the "flicker free" for something else like blur reduction. My Acer VG240YP flickers with VRB on (reduced response time mode). It does not flicker with VRB off
Thanks for the response.
I'm using ASUS VG258QR 165hz 0.5ms. Bought it bnew a year ago. I never change monitor settings except for the blue light filter. I don't think I have the VRB in my monitor. What do you think I should do?

Thanks for the response.
I'm using ASUS VG258QR 165hz 0.5ms. Bought it bnew a year ago. I never change monitor settings except for the blue light filter. I don't think I have the VRB in my monitor. What do you think I should do?
VRB is an Acer feature. Check if there is any feature in your monitor that "reduces motion blur" or "reduces response time". I'm pretty sure it has that Asus ELMB mode. With that OFF, it shouldn't flicker anywhere.

How did you test the flickering btw? Can you see it with your naked eyes? Or are you using something like a slow motion video camera? There is also a website to test flickering.

https://www.testufo.com/blurtrail#f...hickness=32&height=480&ppf=16&separation=1000

Set the thickness to 32 pixels, and see if the moving bars have blue/pink next to them. If they do, the screen is flickering. If they don't, the screen is not flickering. Alternatively use a slo motion camera (i used 480fps), if it flickers on that then it means the screen is flickering. Test it during game and without game on

Dec 15, 2020
VRB is an Acer feature. Check if there is any feature in your monitor that "reduces motion blur" or "reduces response time". I'm pretty sure it has that Asus ELMB mode. With that OFF, it shouldn't flicker anywhere.

How did you test the flickering btw? Can you see it with your naked eyes? Or are you using something like a slow motion video camera? There is also a website to test flickering.

https://www.testufo.com/blurtrail#f...hickness=32&height=480&ppf=16&separation=1000

Set the thickness to 32 pixels, and see if the moving bars have blue/pink next to them. If they do, the screen is flickering. If they don't, the screen is not flickering. Alternatively use a slo motion camera (i used 480fps), if it flickers on that then it means the screen is flickering. Test it during game and without game on

ELMB has always been off because Freesync needs to be off for it to turn on. I havent done any testing. I will try it later
Also I dont think its the monitor. Maybe gpu driver
Thanks!

update:
Tried the test and it kept on flickering. Not sure but I think I saw a blue/pink once. What does that mean?

Last edited:
Reactions: Prad_Bitt
Dec 15, 2020
I can’t be the only one who has experienced this.
-Flickers only at 165hz when im alt-tabbed.
-Flickering stops (still 165hz)when display is extended( w/60hz monitor)
-at 144hz there is no flickering at all
-never flickers in game

-tried reinstalling windows
-tried uninstalling and installing drivers again
-tried turning freesync off