Screen freaking out when running at 3440x1440

y2hbk

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Hey everyone. I have a 34" ultrawide monitor im trying to run at 3440x1440 with a HD7950 GPU. It is running over a displayport to minidisplayport cable that is rated for DP 1.2. I made sure DP 1.2 is enabled on my monitor as well.

So what happens is CCC is defaulting the refresh rate to 30Hz instead of 60Hz. If I try to change the refresh rate it wont change. Even at 30Hz I get random screen flickering at the bottom of the screen every 5-10 seconds.

I have upgraded to the latest drivers and latest version of CCC. Doesn't make a difference. I tried another cable - no change. I have my Mac Mini hooked up to the same monitor running at the same resolution over a thunderbolt to thunderbolt connection and I do not have this problem.

Any ideas what I can try? After awhile I got some random popup telling me I cant run at my native refresh rate and when I clicked on more info it took me to a generic Windows document about video cards and was completely useless.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

*EDIT*

I forgot to add that sometimes after a reboot I can get it set back to 3440x1440 @ 60Hz but after some time (sometimes an hour, sometimes 5 minutes) I get that message again and it has set itself back to 30Hz on its own. It does not display this issue at 60Hz. What would cause this?

Solution
I was going to say it was the cable, but clearly thats not the issue. I would re-install a known stable version of the graphics driver, and then look around in the Catalyst Control Center for anything out-of-the-ordinary. Sorry I can't offer a better response, this one is puzzling me.

MCServerOwner

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
I was going to say it was the cable, but clearly thats not the issue. I would re-install a known stable version of the graphics driver, and then look around in the Catalyst Control Center for anything out-of-the-ordinary. Sorry I can't offer a better response, this one is puzzling me.

Solution