Screen freeze while gaming

mpampis84

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016
Hello to everyone,

I've been having a serious gaming issue for some time now.
The screen freezes, but sound continues to play. If I press, let's say W, I can hear the character walking.
I've noticed this on Quern and Dirt 4. Event viewer SOMETIMES reports amdkmdap has stopped responding at the time of the freeze.

Call of Duty WWII stops with a DirectX error saying the GPU (MSI RX480 Gaming X 8GB) has been physically removed, though there is no black screen or anything indicating the monitor stopped receiving input momentarily.
The same freeze thing also happens when running Furmark.
I recently purchased Wolfenstein II, which hasn't crashed or frozen so far, running on Vulcan.
I don't really own another game I could try.

Also, Furmark doesn't cause the freeze when running on Ubuntu, even though I get higher temps due to not being able to use a custom fan curve.

This leads me to believe it's some kind of DirectX problem, which clean installing of drivers and even the OS hasn't resolved.

Any ideas as to what I can actually do?

Sorry for the really long post, I would appreciate some suggestions.

mpampis84

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016

I've tried this, as I said, I even tried a clean installation of my OS.
I tried something new. I reinstalled Sniper Elite 4, and tried to play in DX11 & DX12.
I played for about an hour in DX12 without problems.
I played in DX11 and I got an error after roughly 5 minutes.

I am now certain that it is not hardware related, but I don't know if I have AMD or Microsoft to blame.

DX Diagnosis doesn't show any problems does it?
If its a new install, is .net updated to 4.x?
Just throwing out some random responses maybe they will help.
Try and run other DX12 games, or futuremark under dx12 see how it copes then do dx11 and see if it fails.

mpampis84

Commendable
Apr 26, 2016

Yes .net framework is updated, also all MS Visual C++ redists (x86 and x64 from 2008 to 2017) have been installed.
Wolfenstein also froze once. After that, I downgraded to 17.7.2 which didn't help.

I installed Windows 8.1 today (terrible UI but they really seem much faster), and played Quern without any problems using 17.7.1 drivers since newer drivers aren't supported. Only problem is I keep getting the CPU not supported message.