Question Screen freezes after a couple minutes of playing...

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Mobo: MSI x370 Gaming Plus
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz C16, Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1x8) DDR4 2400MHz C16
SSD/HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, 2TB Seagate, 500GB M.2 Blue Western Digital
GPU: RTX 2060 MSI Gaming Z
PSU: 750W Thermaltake Bronze
Chassis: Vivio ATX Mid Tower

I play games on very low settings as I'm a huge fan of high FPS. Though my computer keeps locking up completely and everything is frozen on one frame, no blue/white/black screen, just whatever is there. I reinstalled Windows to see if that would fix it, it didn't. Tried new NVIDIA drivers, didn't work. Disabled Overclocks or have underclocked (including RAM, CPU, and GPU), nope.

Could it be storage, motherboard, or possibly PSU?

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz C16, Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1x8) DDR4 2400MHz C16

3 sticks of RAM? Not a good idea. Extra stick isn't going to do anything beneficial. Only use the 2 x 8 kit (in the proper slots for dual channel), update bios, and load XMP.

Also that RAM is slow for a Ryzen rig. Ideally you would sell all 3 sticks and upgrade to a faster 2 x 8 kit.

Last edited:

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
3 sticks of RAM? Not a good idea. Extra stick isn't going to do anything beneficial. Only use the 2 x 8 kit (in the proper slots for dual channel), update bios, and load XMP.

Also that RAM is slow for a Ryzen rig. Ideally you would sell all 3 sticks and upgrade to a faster 2 x 8 kit.
All of them are at 2800MHz @1.35. I know it's still bad, but it's going to cost a little much for me to even ship all of these or even get anything from these.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
I did memtest, no errors occurred.

Do you have some specific need for 24gb? Even if its stable it seems kinda weird to gimp your bandwidth like that. Especially with ryzen. I'd pull the 3rd stick for shits and giggles and see if it fixes the issue. Maybe save your ram overclock to a profile and see how it works with the matched kit and XMP enabled. Anyway..... that's all i got... Good luck.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Do you have some specific need for 24gb? Even if its stable it seems kinda weird to gimp your bandwidth like that. Especially with ryzen. I'd pull the 3rd stick for shits and giggles and see if it fixes the issue. Maybe save your ram overclock to a profile and see how it works with the matched kit and XMP enabled. Anyway..... that's all i got... Good luck.
Well Mortal Kombat 11 uses nearly 12+GB on very high settings, and for some reason 5GB is already in use (Saw on HWiNFO64) , so that's passed 16GB. I also don't like XMP.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
No profanity
Unless he's got a ----- ton of v droop that CPU should be stable at 4.1 at that voltage. It should be fine near 1.2v at 4.0 ghz. I'm still skeptical of the RAM configuration/overclock. It would have been nice to have the overclock mentioned in OP regardless. I doubt this was properly stress tested as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Unless he's got a ---- ton of v droop that CPU should be stable at 4.1 at that voltage. It should be fine near 1.2v at 4.0 ghz. I'm still skeptical of the RAM configuration/overclock. It would have been nice to have the overclock mentioned in OP regardless. I doubt this was properly stress tested as well.
I should've mentioned it, yeah. Super sorry about that. I forgot I had it at 4.1. I still don't think it can be the RAM.

That is the key there. 99.9% you have an unstable overclock. Did you stress test it with Prime95 for a few hours? By the sound of it I doubt it.
Ever since I've lowered the CPU, I haven't had any crashes. I don't think this specific CPU can handle 4.1 OR because it's an x370 motherboard, I can't support it fully.
EDIT: I would like 4.1, but have no clue what voltage to set it at as apparently 1.375 doesn't work either. I have a Hyper 612 v.2 air cooler and it's been doing good. Low 70's on Cinebench, but that's only because I have a small room and it gets very hot. I don't play MOST of my games on high settings either.

Last edited by a moderator:

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
For stability testing I suggest a combo of Intel burn test, Prime95 26.6, and real bench. HWinfo64 is the best monitoring app.

Run IBT on standard to quickly test the viability of you OC. If you pass that run p95 for 30 min - 1 hour to test your temps. If temps look good (below 80c is ideal) and no crashes then run a realbench stress test for 4-8 hours with half of your ram.

Watch your vcore in HWI64. If its dropping down significantly while under load from one of these tests you may need to raise load line calibration. DO NOT RAISE LLC TO THE POINT THAT VCORE RAISES UNDER LOAD. THIS CAN DAMAGE YOUR CPU IN EXTREME CASES. You want to set this so it still drops but as little as possible.

EDIT: If it wasn't obvious the goal is to get stable at the lowest voltage possible. I know you think your RAM config is fine. Take it out of the equation for now. Pull the third stick and run at stock or at least XMP until you establish you have a stable CPU overclock.

Last edited:

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
For stability testing I suggest a combo of Intel burn test, Prime95 26.6, and real bench. HWinfo64 is the best monitoring app.

Run IBT on standard to quickly test the viability of you OC. If you pass that run p95 for 30 min - 1 hour to test your temps. If temps look good (below 80c is ideal) and no crashes then run a realbench stress test for 4-8 hours with half of your ram.

Watch your vcore in HWI64. If its dropping down significantly while under load from one of these tests you may need to raise load line calibration. DO NOT RAISE LLC TO THE POINT THAT VCORE RAISES UNDER LOAD. THIS CAN DAMAGE YOUR CPU IN EXTREME CASES. You want to set this so it still drops but as little as possible.

EDIT: If it wasn't obvious the goal is to get stable at the lowest voltage possible. I know you think your RAM config is fine. Take it out of the equation for now. Pull the third stick and run at stock or at least XMP until you establish you have a stable CPU overclock.
Is it safe to even run IBT on an AMD CPU?