Question Screen freezes and flickering white squares

Pilvinyymi

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
Today i booted up horizon 4 and played for a couple of minutes until my screen froze and these flickering white squares amd random colors appeared.

Now when i start up my pc, it does the same thing after the windows 10 logo or while in desktop and it just continues until i force shutdown.

I cleaned the pc and gave it time to cool down but it didn't work.

Is my gpu failing?

Specs:
Windows 10
Amd fx 8350
Windforce gtx 780
12gb ram
Xfx pro550w

Last edited:
Can you post a screenshot of this issue ? Yes, those artifacts, flickering, square boxes, random colors could be a sign of a faulty GPU. Most probably a VRAM corruption issue. Though first we need to narrow down the issue. Which MOBO are you having ?

Does it have support for integrated/onboard graphics ? Can you check the GPU on some other PC as well, if possible.

Pilvinyymi

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
Can you post a screenshot of this issue ? Yes, those artifacts, flickering, square boxes, random colors could be a sign of a faulty GPU. Most probably a VRAM corruption issue. Though first we need to narrow down the issue. Which MOBO are you having ?

Does it have support for integrated/onboard graphics ? Can you check the GPU on some other PC as well, if possible.

The pc booted now with less problems (white lines on screen) and device manager claims reported problems with my gpu (code 43) so i guess that solves it?

and device manager claims reported problems with my gpu (code 43) so i guess that solves it?

Not necessary.

Your GPU might be faulty, but before we jump on any conclusion, can you TEST the Video card on some other PC ? Also, are you on a FRESH Windows OS install ? IF not, then try doing a clean format of your SSD/HDD, if need be.

Error code 43 can be reported anytime when Windows does not recognize a device – whether it's a USB port, Hard drive, video card/GPU, or any other piece of hardware connected to the computer. Most of the time, error code 43 means that a device driver is either missing, corrupt, and/or outdated (so Windows has problems communicating properly with the hardware), or the hardware is faulty and needs to be replaced.

This error code points out that the Hardware might also be defective, which is the GPU. But before we jump to any conclusion, check the card on some other PC as well.

What's the make/model number of your MOBO ? Can you properly boot your current system/OS, by using the 'Integrated Graphics processor' of your current Motherboard, assuming your board supports it ? Do you still get the same problem ? And, what about SAFE MODE ?

I just wanted to know what does it say under the DEVICE manager, "Display Adapters" settings, Microsoft Basic Windows Adapter" ?