[SOLVED] Screen freezes kind of randomly.

Nov 11, 2019
Ok sorry if I break any rules or anything this is the first forum thread I've ever made.

I am having a huge problem with my pc and I've troubleshot almost all of my hardware. Basically, i boot up and my computer will run pretty well, but randomly (usually within the first 5-10 minutes) the screen will freeze. The first few times it did this, a blue Windows screen would pop up saying "something went wrong" or something like that and then my PC would restart itself. It doesn't do this anymore though. Now all it does is freeze and I cant do anything until I shut it down via power button and then bootup again.

I am worried this is a cpu issue. Please tell me it's not a cpu issue. I should also probably mention that I am able to boot up and play Minecraft. The issue for the most part seems to be random and not triggered by increasing gpu usage, although it hasn't made it through this 9gb Rocket League update without freezing.

Heres what i have done to test the hardware:
  • I have swapped out the gpu for a EVGA Geforce GTX 950 (i cant even get a display with this card now)
  • I have booted up the pc with a 600w bronze certified power supply (same issue would occur where the screen freezes)
  • I also swapped out the PCIe cable
  • I have made double sure my ram is in the correct places. DIMMA2 and DIMMB2
  • I took my original motherboard back, which was a MSI MPG x570 WIFI Gaming Mobo
  • I also turned down the frequency of the ram from 3000 to 2400 (it sets to 2400 if i select "Auto" in BIOS)
  • I have configured the gpu fans to run at 980RPM minimum speed
  • I have used multiple A/C wall outlets
  • I also flashed BIOS with the latest version
MY SPECS:
All of these parts are new except for the Radeon 570. But I was using it just fine a week ago in my old pc.

Ryzen 7 2700x cpu
TEAMGROUP T-Force 2x8GB 3000mhz ram
Samsung 970 m.2 500gb ssd
Gammax 400 cooler
MSI Radeon 570 8gb gpu
Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming Mobo
Corsair 750w Gold Certified White fully modular psu

Last edited:
Solution
Thank you for your help btw. I ran the memtest86 (the free one) and it yielded no errors with RAM. You helped me determine it is not a memory issue tho.
I think the problem may be static discharge. If you're in dry environment, it might be static discharge from something like touching the mouse or metal keyboard while your feet are on carpet. When the system is not properly grounded it will shock the computer and cause the system to reboot, bluescreen, lock up or even shut down. This is usually the motherboard anti-static discharge functions working to prevent the hardware in the system from being destroyed.

I would suggest discharging yourself on some appliance in the house, like touching the metal door of a fridge, before...

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
Ok sorry if I break any rules or anything this is the first forum thread I've ever made.

I am having a huge problem with my pc and I've troubleshot almost all of my hardware. Basically, i boot up and my computer will run pretty well, but randomly (usually within the first 5-10 minutes) the screen will freeze. The first few times it did this, a blue Windows screen would pop up saying "something went wrong" or something like that and then my PC would restart itself. It doesn't do this anymore though. Now all it does is freeze and I cant do anything until I shut it down via power button and then bootup again.

I am worried this is a cpu issue. Please tell me it's not a cpu issue. I should also probably mention that I am able to boot up and play Minecraft. The issue for the most part seems to be random and not triggered by increasing gpu usage, although it hasn't made it through this 9gb Rocket League update without freezing.

Heres what i have done to test the hardware:
  • I have swapped out the gpu for a EVGA Geforce GTX 950 (i cant even get a display with this card now)
  • I have booted up the pc with a 600w bronze certified power supply (same issue would occur where the screen freezes)
  • I also swapped out the PCIe cable
  • I have made double sure my ram is in the correct places. DIMMA2 and DIMMB2
  • I took my original motherboard back, which was a MSI MPG x570 WIFI Gaming Mobo
  • I also turned down the frequency of the ram from 3000 to 2400 (it sets to 2400 if i select "Auto" in BIOS)
  • I have configured the gpu fans to run at 980RPM minimum speed
  • I have used multiple A/C wall outlets
  • I also flashed BIOS with the latest version
MY SPECS:
All of these parts are new except for the Radeon 570. But I was using it just fine a week ago in my old pc.

Ryzen 7 2700x cpu
TEAMGROUP T-Force 2x8GB 3000mhz ram
Samsung 970 m.2 500gb ssd
Gammax 400 cooler
MSI Radeon 570 8gb gpu
Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming Mobo
Corsair 750w Gold Certified White fully modular psu
Not exactly helpful but just so you know the next time it happens, when your PC gets a bsod it should create a mini dump file which has all the information you need to diagnose the issue. With just regular hard freezes you might get lucky with Event viewer, could point out an offending driver causing issues. Have you done a fresh install and what programs have you installed? Monitoring, overclocking, security etc.

Nov 11, 2019
Last edited:
Nov 11, 2019
Not exactly helpful but just so you know the next time it happens, when your PC gets a bsod it should create a mini dump file which has all the information you need to diagnose the issue. With just regular hard freezes you might get lucky with Event viewer, could point out an offending driver causing issues. Have you done a fresh install and what programs have you installed? Monitoring, overclocking, security etc.

I can't open memory.dmp. Although the file is 561000kb. I tried to click "open with" then go to microsoft store but it keeps closing the store automatically. Only programs I've installed for that purpose would be HWMonitor to watch temps.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if I have trouble keeping up with what you're saying. I'm not the most competent when it comes to computers. guru3d.com says it must be NVIDIA, AMD, Intel GPUs. Is my MSI the same?

Also I did get my driver from the AMD site, not through device manager.
DDU (as it's name shows) can get rid of old drivers and it's leftovers that can make a mess when changing GPUs, use it in safe mode for full effect.

Run a memory test to determine if one or more modules are faulty. Go to https://www.memtest86.com/. Download the latest version. Extract the contents of the zip to a folder and follow the directions in the readme.txt. Boot to the USB drive from the motherboards boot device menu when you restart the computer. Let the test run until it finishes or find errors or the system crashes. If it finds errors or the computer crashes, shut it down and take all memory modules out and rerun the memory test on each modules individually.

Nov 11, 2019
Run a memory test to determine if one or more modules are faulty. Go to https://www.memtest86.com/. Download the latest version. Extract the contents of the zip to a folder and follow the directions in the readme.txt. Boot to the USB drive from the motherboards boot device menu when you restart the computer. Let the test run until it finishes or find errors or the system crashes. If it finds errors or the computer crashes, shut it down and take all memory modules out and rerun the memory test on each modules individually.
Ok, I also ran the windows memory diagnostic test. Is this one more effective?

Nov 11, 2019
I'm sorry if I have trouble keeping up with what you're saying. I'm not the most competent when it comes to computers. guru3d.com says it must be NVIDIA, AMD, Intel GPUs. Is my MSI the same?

Also I did get my driver from the AMD site, not through device manager.
Ok I ran DDU and then reinstalled from the site. Same issue is occurring.

Nov 11, 2019
Windows Memory Diagnostic tool seems to be less reliable than memtest86 in my own testing. That doesn't mean it's not useful for quickly finding some issues, but I find memtest86 catches more errors with bad memory modules than Windows Memory Diagnostic tool does, because it's more thorough.
Thank you for your help btw. I ran the memtest86 (the free one) and it yielded no errors with RAM. You helped me determine it is not a memory issue tho.

I think the problem may be static discharge. If you're in dry environment, it might be static discharge from something like touching the mouse or metal keyboard while your feet are on carpet. When the system is not properly grounded it will shock the computer and cause the system to reboot, bluescreen, lock up or even shut down. This is usually the motherboard anti-static discharge functions working to prevent the hardware in the system from being destroyed.

I would suggest discharging yourself on some appliance in the house, like touching the metal door of a fridge, before using the computer. To prevent more static discharge, you could move the computer off of carpet and onto a wood base or floor and move any cables so they don't touch carpet. Run a cold water humidifier in the room you have the computer to try to increase humidity.

Solution