Question Screen gets darker except for active window.

boogie_1987

Reputable
Mar 2, 2018
Hi.

I started having this issue recently after a fresh install of windows 10, where, if I have my browser or any other window open, my desktop on the back gets dark, like if I took the brightness all the way down and the contrast all the way up. But the active window won't, it stays the same, and sometimes the entire screen gets equally dark. I made this mockup so you can visualize the problem better.

BEFORE
View: https://imgur.com/C8ANwbi

DURING
View: https://imgur.com/nkzemNb

Then It goes back to normal If I move the mouse, but not always, sometimes it just goes away after a few seconds. This is extremely random, I haven't found a way to replicate the issue, it just happens randomly.

I don't think it's my monitor, digging around in google there's supposed to be a feature on windows 10 called, "adaptive brightness" but that option is nowhere to be found.

Any idea of what's going on?.

Windows 10 pro version 20H2, OS Build 19042.1348
AMD Ryzen 2600x
Nvidia RTX 2060 Super, driver version 496.76
Samsung SJ55W: 34" SJ55W Ultra WQHD Monitor Monitors - LS34J550WQNXZA | Samsung US
Aorus b450 Pro Wifi
Corsair RGB Pro 16GB CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
XPG Core Reactor 750w brand new
WD Blue 500gb

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

boogie_1987

Reputable
Mar 2, 2018
after a fresh install of windows 10
Where did you source the installer for your OS?

Your specs are incomplete as well. What is the make and model of your motherboard? Ram kit? PSU's make and model and age? Storage?

I got windows from the old Windows USB/DVD Download Tool

I don't think the rest of the specs are relevant but ok.

Aorus b450 Pro Wifi
Corsair RGB Pro 16GB CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
XPG Core Reactor 750w brand new
WD Blue 500gb

boogie_1987

Reputable
Mar 2, 2018
Why would you want to dwell on an older version of the OS when the latest can be had from Microsoft, using Windows Media Creation Tools? You should be on 21H2. BIOS version for your motherboard?

Ups!!, looks like you´re right, I still have some updates to install and Nvidia released a new driver just recently. Guess I'll apply all these updates and see what happens.

My BIOS is old AF. I haven't updated it because most people say that you shouldn't unless it is strictly necessary, like general system instability, BSoDs and stuff. So it is old. I bought it in 2019, so it should be the bios from around that time.