Screen glitches then turns black, PC stays on. Is my GPU dying?

amiverhey

Commendable
Jul 8, 2018
Hi there,

Recently it seems my GPU (or maybe PSU) has been crashing while playing games. All the sudden the screen glitches out and then turns black. Then my monitor displays there is no input, yet the computers power stays on. Sometimes the audio glitches and other times it continues like nothing happened. It has happened in all my games. For the past few months it hasn't been happening and all the sudden it started again. I've updated my drivers many times.

In Skyrim I have been able to recreate the glitch. It seems that it happens with only certain graphical effects.

Here it is:
https://imgur.com/C9tykmf

I'm not sure if my graphics card is dying or if my PSU is faulty.

I run at about 83 C (GPU) at load, but from what I understand my model of GPU is fine running that hot.

I've had this PC for about 2.5 years, and this only started happening in the past 9 months or so.

Thank you so much.

Specs:
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/kP1vEFkGpThWIXUo25XiuE6

PSU: EVGA Supernova 850 watt G2

Solution

Just try another port and if it still doing the same then there must be another reason but if your psu faulty would that make other problems for your computer!

amiverhey

Commendable
Jul 8, 2018

I can try switching the port, but I have uninstalled the drivers completely and done a clean install before.

XxDarkMarioxX

Respectable
Dec 25, 2016

Just try another port and if it still doing the same then there must be another reason but if your psu faulty would that make other problems for your computer!

Solution
easiest way is to use it in another PC and let it run awhile and see if it does the same on an entirely different PC.

(a friend/family member maybe?)

if it happened in the past, then stopepd for a period of time, and then started again I doubt it is the GPU itself.

amiverhey

Commendable
Jul 8, 2018

Thank you so much!! That seemed to work! I will come back if I have further issues but I tested it out in Skyrim and I had no issues!!

amiverhey

Commendable
Jul 8, 2018

Makes sense. I don't exactly have access to another computer though. I think it is fixed!! If I have further issues though I will try to find one. Thanks!